Lead screw lube maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gld

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
My CNC router (http://www.gldpages.com/CNCRouter.htm) has 5/8 acme lead screws with acetel anti backlash nuts. The X axis squawks on rapid moves, and sets up a vibration in the machine. My rapids are 60ipm. Haven't ever noticed any indication of lost steps it's just annoying. It's done that ever since I built the machine in 2004. I've used silicone spray but that only last a few minutes. Really shouldn't have to use any lube, the Y axis has never made any sounds.

Suggestions welcome????

My CNC router (http://www.gldpages.com/CNCRouter.htm) has 5/8 acme lead screws with acetel anti backlash nuts. The X axis squawks on rapid moves, and sets up a vibration in the machine. My rapids are 60ipm. Haven't ever noticed any indication of lost steps it's just annoying. It's done that ever since I built the machine in 2004. I've used silicone spray but that only last a few minutes. Really shouldn't have to use any lube, the Y axis has never made any sounds.

Suggestions welcome????
I use way lubricants

Dave

I built my machine in 2000 and I have had the same issue. Mine is a twin of your machine. I took the nut apart and cleaned it out then reassembled the nut adjusting the spring to be a bit less tight. Never ever use spray paint anywhere near the CNC. Don't ask me how I know that. Anyway buffing the the lead screw will also help.

Mark T

We have a simular setup on a commercial 3D printer at work. Their recommendation for lube is Super Lube oil.

Dave

Last edited:
I found that with CNC routers that are used to cut wood, the dust soon clogs up the nut when oily lubricate is used. If you are going to try a lubricant it needs to be a dry type.

Mark T

Latest posts

Back