Krazy Klockwork Mechanism

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a handy book to have around. If anyone is interested, I found it for a free download on google Books.

IronHorse

Would like a copy bus it's impossible to download here in Europe ??? :mad:

Is there an other option? ;D

Greetings,

Chris

Hi Brian
looks like u are neally ready to start cutting stuff :)
Pete

Tonight we'll start off with something simple---The wheel bushing.
BUSHING--SMALL.jpg

And we'll do the hub. I had to go back and re-jig the wheel drawing to add in the tapped holes for the hub. If you have already copied the wheel drawing, please copy the new one I've just posted, as some other holes may have moved a bit as well.
HUB-SMALL.jpg

This is the last part I have modelled. The three holes at the left hand must remain as shown in the drawing to make the Klockwork mechanism work properly. The hole in the right hand end will probably change as I get deeper into the build stage. I have to figure out what engine I'm going to drive this with, whether or not I will need a gear reduction to slow it down (I think I will.), and what throw I want to have on the eccentric to make the arms drop down only one post at a time. The only metal I have cut at this point is for the full sized prototype which appears in the video. I am currently working 8 hours a day at an industrial plant across town, so my "playing" is restricted to the evenings.
ROCKERARM--SMALL.jpg

I love it. I just went on amazon and bought a used 507 book for less than $5. thanks john

Oh, I know----I've been lollygagging again. But trust me--I had good reasons. Now however, I'm back on the path, and will try to make more headway with this project. I machined the wheel and the hub this afternoon, and tomorrow will drill a kazillion holes in that plate wheel. I machined and bolted the hub on first so that I would have something to hold onto when I set it up in my rotary table.
wheelforklockwork002.jpg

Ah, there you are! I was beginning to think you'd got et by a polar b'ar!

Here are the eight large holes. Since they are only a cosmetic feature, and nothing has to mate with them, I simply drilled the first one, then advanced the rotary table 40 degrees and did the next untill they were done.
wheelassemblyfinished001-1.jpg

And here is the fnished mechanism. I drilled all 24 holes for the brass shafts using ordinate dimensions. I have no electronic travel gauges, so everything was done with the dials for my X and Y axis. I got distracted part way through and had two holes out of place, but I plugged them and carried on. Thats enough work for a sunday morning!!!
wheelassemblyfinished001.jpg

once you put the rest of it together I wonder if a person could not add a pendulum and a few gears to it and make a real clock out of it all. If a real long pendulum was used you might be able to get a 5 second or more swing out of it. probably would not want it in your bedroom if you want to sleep though, judging be the noise the mock up makes! john

I scrounged around in my box of gears and found two that mate properly and give an approximate 4.5:1 gear reduction. The small gear will attach directly to the crankshaft of my Popcorn engine, and the large gear will drive the eccentric which rocks the rocker shaft. I need that gear reduction to prevent the rocker arm from moving too rapidly. If it moves to rapidly the "arms" won't have enough time to fall and engage the next brass pin below it to turn the main klockwork gear.
klockworkgears001.jpg

Brian Rupnow said:
Here are the eight large holes. Since they are only a cosmetic feature, and nothing has to mate with them, I simply drilled the first one, then advanced the rotary table 40 degrees and did the next untill they were done.

In the interest of fairness, I demand a recount! ;D

Jerry

Captain Jerry said:
In the interest of fairness, I demand a recount! ;D

Jerry
You know Jerry, I was kinda wondering when I posted that, just how the Hell 40 degrees times 8 holes equalled 360 degrees. ??? ??? ???

Well I only see eight. But the math does not support that does it? Oh well, like you said cosmetic. Its all good.
Just call it a design change.
Tin

Latest posts

Back