Know where your fingers are---

Help Support HMEM:

Rickus

Reaction score
While I was active duty we were told, never ever try to catch something you or someone else drop. Let it hit the floor and come to a rest. You never know what may happen when you move quickly in a surprise and get your hand caught in a piece of equipment or knock your head on the corner of a bench. A habitual response is not easy to train yourself out of and I did see one person using a battery drill place it on the workbench where it was unstable. When it fell off he reacted by trying to catch it which he did. Unfortunately the drill landed in his hand bit down. 3/8" drill bit poking out the backside.

Brian Hutchings

Reaction score
My personal moment that still brings me out in a sweat happened 50 years ago. I was working at a place that made parts for Rolls Royce Aero but it had started life by making kitchen cabinets, stainless sinks (which is how they got into R-R work (they made the exhausts for R-R Merlin engines)) and pressed steel radiators, which were made in 2 halves and seam welded together.
I needed to cut a small piece of stainless sheet (for myself) and so at lunchtime I used the power guillotine near my workplace. I pushed the small piece of sheet under the trapper bar and pressed the footpedal. The trapper bar came down and brushed the top of my fingers and then retracted. Fortunately for me it had been set to trap radiator pressings at about an inch thick and so I escaped with all fingers intact!!
Brian

oldCB

Reaction score
Several years ago I was working on a 172 nose gear. I was going to rebuild the strut but it would not come apart due to dissimilar corrosion. I anchored the bottom on part of the hangar structure and attached a winch to the other end also attached to the structure. I put some pulling pressure on it, applied Mouse milk and went about doing other stuff. Throughout the day I applied a heat gun and more milk. I gradually increased the pulling force till she sounded like a banjo! I left and came back 3-4 days later (it was my birthday) to look at another of the 3 planes in the hangar..........as I was walking bye, it broke free........like a bomb going off!! It scared the crap out of me and could of killed me. I guess the Lord was looking out for me that day!! Be careful out there boys!*
NorBlimp.JPG

* got another one about the same plane.....save that for later!! Be safe with the Covid-19 too!!

Group Builder