Kinzers, PA Fall Harvest Videos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjoe5

Reaction score
I just got my stuff packed away after attending the Kinzers, PA Rough & Tumble Engineer’s Museum Fall Harvest Show. I volunteer at the museum and had boiler duty as well as showing some of my engines. So I didn’t get a lot of pictures but I did take four videos to share with you. The first one shows Norm Jones’ very nice Rider Erricson Hot Air Engine:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSS1JYtGJk[/ame]

The next video shows Earl Abbott’s fine PM Research Steam Drilling Engine (Model 1B1). Earl was interested in joining this board and so was provided with information courtesy of Tin Falcon who also attended the show.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXA9P-evh28[/ame]

Tin was set up next to me which proved sort of unfortunate for Tin :'(. But he had his Team Build #1 in action. This is a really fine looking engine and is a credit to the talents and motivation of all those who participated in its completion.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cseBBkGtrQ0[/ame]

I completed my latest build a week ago. This is a vertical engine that I designed to run on steam. I chose my materials accordingly and painted all the iron surfaces to protect them. I’m fortunate to live near the Rough & Tumble Museum in Kinzers, PA. I volunteer there so I have many experts to answer my numerous questions and they gave me some great advice about how to design an engine for live steam. The Museum has a boiler that supplies steam to the model engine building so I plumbed my engine directly into their steam line. Here’s a video taken on day 1. Note the steam exhausting all over the table and neighboring setup (That’s Tin Falcon’s wooden display case in the background). Sorry Tin :-[. You can hear one of the many steam whistles at the Museum at the end of this video.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diTgPUFokvg[/ame]

On day 2 I connected some hoses up to the cylinder drain and exhaust pipes that kept the excess water (mostly) in the pan. For those of you who have built “steam” engines but have only run them on air, there is a difference. My friend at the show, a steam engine expert, likes to say, “the difference between running an engine on compressed air and running it on steam is like the difference between kissing your mom and kissing your girlfriend”. It’s true. Give it a try you’ll be pleased with the result.

Cheers,
Phil

"........... My friend at the show, a steam engine expert, likes to say, “the difference between running an engine on compressed air and running it on steam is like the difference between kissing your mom and kissing your girlfriend”. It’s true. Give it a try you’ll be pleased with the result."

Yeah but Phil, do you think either one of them would let me??? :big: Rof} :big: Rof} :fan:

BC1
Jim
:hDe:

Yes Phil another great show. R & T is a great venue lots of full sized engines running and although the model building is small compared to cabin fever there was a nice group of exhibitors.
I think the engine that I get the most reactions from is by Altoids tin reaction turbine. Last fall there was a little girl about 8 or so that was ready to haul dad home to make one.
This year there was a gal on Saturday that was totally amazed by the little simple engine. Had the tin on the table then blew into the air line to make it turn . the look on her face was of total amazement and priceless. Like she had seen fire for the first time or something.
Tin

All right. That's the 2nd time I missed out cause wife was going on or coming from a trip. Next time...(well I hope there isn't...she has priority. ;D)

Thanks for showing the videos. I've seen and asked about the kind of engine in the first video. I do like it. It's already in my project list.

Philjoe5 said:
is like the difference between kissing your mom and kissing your girlfriend”. It’s true. Give it a try you’ll be pleased with the result.

But to make such comparison...wouldn't that mean...
Just had to include the last sentence too. Wondering what 'it' is. Rof}

Thanks again. Great to see shows. Helps to get more people to attend.

Latest posts

Back