Just a thought on 1" Minnie

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCSteam

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been looking around at what engine project I should take on and while at the moment the Minnie isn't high on the list I have had a thought on Minnie which might have some merit so thought I'd put it out there to see what you all think.

So I'm looking for a relatively easy, with least cost build or ways to simplify the build I do take on, and while browsing the castings of AJ Reeves, and blackgates, I saw the castings for the Clayton wheels, these are Ali castings and I noticed that the finished machined size are not far off the Minnie wheels

The cost at present for all the wheel parts from AJ Reeves is £310. Including postage. The cost of the front and rear wheels for the Clayton are £163 if you bought both front and rear but I'd probably suggest buying a suitable sized flywheel, with the aim to making the Minnie look more like an aveling and porter traction engine, with the patterned wheels. The rears would need nearly an inch removing from their tread, but I think it's possible.

This would not only save a fair bit of cash to put towards a boiler or other needed parts, but would be a lot of time saved cutting spokes and filing/bending to shape, let alone the time to machine the hubs, hub covers, wheels, and then rivet the assembly together. Any discrepancy in the wheel diameter which tilted the boiler from the angle it should be, could be adjusted in the perch bracket height meaning that no other parts would need modification. The Clayton wheels have a big enough hub to mate to the drive gear without any problems (I think?).

Just thought I'd throw my thought out there for criticism :)

Piece of 6" dia aluminium will cost you about £45 and you can get the front wheels out of the middle of the rear wheels. less if you use steel

Or a bit of 1/2" wall 6" dia steel tube would cost £25 for the rears

Just about everything on the Minnie can be made without the castings but maybe buy the cylinder and flywheel for ease.

Latest posts

Back