January & February 1936 Popular mechanics magazine. Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi:

About two weeks ago there was a post about plans for a steam engine and boiler from a January & February 1936 Popular mechanics magazine.

So far I have found the January copy and there was nothing there. I have not been able to locate the Feb. issue.

Does anyone have the plans and would you share them with me or guide me to the site where I can find them.

Thank you,

Terryt

Email: [email protected]

Denn, you missed Scotty's point that it was in the 1963 mag not 1936

I was looking at the first post from Terryt......steam engine and boiler from a January & February 1936 Popular mechanics magazine

I don't know how to delete the posts
Sorry

Last edited:
Terry did say 1936 in his first post, but I had remembered a post about a simple steam engine and boiler and that is what I posted. Hopefully, one of us was right :)

I hate to even start looking at old magazines, so many cool things and ideas from way back before I was around. So many...where does a guy start?

As an aside and off subject, looking some of the old adverts is fascinating.

The other interesting thing to note is the sheer size of these magazines. That issue was something like 280 pages. Smaller format than modern magazines and lots of ads for sure, but still lots of interesting content on a wide range of topics. It was a different world in so many ways of course, but imagine the undertaking of putting together that much content for a monthly publication. The staffing of those publications must have been pretty large.

My Dad started getting Popular Mechanics in the 40's, then I keep it up until several years ago, they took the mechanics out and gave it the liberial slant
Now I think it's comes out every other month, they sent me a sample issue recently.

Nothing like it used to be. I used to get it and Popular Science from my grandpa after he read them. Considering the content and the utility of the mag at the time with all kinds of useful info and projects, compared to now when it seems pretty useless. It is amazing that "back then" they composed it without the use of computers and word processors. They had to compose with typewriters, set type, create artwork for printing plates, print, assemble and send out that many pages every month. Amazing!!

Hi:

Has anyone built the Hardware Steam Engine? Were you able to find all of the parts and hoe did it run?
Were there any probulms with it?
Thankss,

Terrytm

I agree that Popular Mechanics is a mere shadow of what was once a fine magazine. When my present subscription runs out that will be the end of my interest in the magazine.
Back in the early fifties I would ride my bike to the library where they had copies of Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, Mechanics Illustrated, and Science and Mechanics bound together by year. They were available for checkout so I was able to read them at my leisure. Paging through a magazine to see what article interests you next is something that you can't do with an online version.

Jack

Back