Jackhammer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmechthings

Reaction score
Would you know I finished another model a few days ago, and while it is not an engine, it does have a reciprocating piston that goes putt putt putt quite fast. Does that count?
For some reason I'm intrigued with simple everyday things that I don't know how they work. I found that building a working scale will solve that problem of not knowing how they work.
I did not have a prototype to examine, so I researched old patent drawings on the internet, and from ideas gleaned, worked up a plan for a miniature. It is not an exact scale model of any particular make or model, but rather just a generic copy of all of them.
The first picture shows the size compared to my hand. The second is how I displayed it stuck in a small Burl. I did not take a video, because you cannot see any movement, and the noise as about like a baby rattling its diaper.

IMG_5046-1.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

Nice looking model, well presented.

Regards
Gordy

Great job Birk :bow:
It's really nice to see something unique modeled as a working model once in a while!

Kind regards, Arnold

That's a winner Birk...and just down right cute too!!! Well done. Any chance of a short video of it doing its thing??

Bill

Oops, i missed the part about why no video...

I love models like this!

If you ever decide to sell plans for models like this, just send me copies of all of them and bill me.

That looks real slick!

But now I want to look up the patents just so I can tell how the darn thing works. ;)

Birk, Great looking model, I like these models like this. larry

The suspense is killing me.

How does a jackhammer work?

SAM

I almost forgot, your jackhammer looks great.

Perhaps GI Joe can operate it.

Nice! How about a scale road with a few workers to operate it? Never mind that the road bed would be new, the workers around here seem to like jackhammering on new concrete! ;D

Oldmechthings - Now that is a neat job.

For what it's worth & not much help to you now, there is an article (with drawings) for a 'Pavement Breaker' by W.Aikman in ME Vol.88 (1943) pp375-7

Mark

Very nice. I feel like I gotta build one now, so I guess it's off to the internet to find out how they work.

Chuck

Birk your builds always bring a a smile here.

All this one needs to make it complete is a model of a middle aged guy swallowing ibuprofen
tablets while he's sitting in the bar at a hotel that is close to the job site he'd been
shipped off to.

The hotel won't allow him in the restaurant after the way he acted last night...

Is that reading too much reality into a model build? scratch.gif

Beautiful model Birk!!!!
:bow:

Rick

Superb model, Birk! You do great work.
I'd love to see a video, even if it doesn't seem like there would be much action.
Would still like to hear this little pavement breaker rattling away!

Dean

Birk: Your ingenuity and talents continue to amaze and inspire us mortals.

Latest posts

Back