scaling for dummies?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome you posted this! I remember being told of the "Roman" origins of the gauge and also several articles debunking this. Still years and years later the story is still being told. This clearly points out is was just a random decision by one person and that person was not thinking about a "nice standard number" but trying to solve a problem of a binding (thus the extra 1/2 inch).

We need to try and stick to the topic, which is about "SCALING".
I am saying this to remind myself as much as others.
We are in danger of this tread going down the rabbit hole.
would the owner of this thread please delete the non-scaling related posts :-( !!!
(someone else can create appropriate threads for people reminiscing about old times)

Awesome you posted this! I remember being told of the "Roman" origins of the gauge and also several articles debunking this. Still years and years later the story is still being told. This clearly points out is was just a random decision by one person and that person was not thinking about a "nice standard number" but trying to solve a problem of a binding (thus the extra 1/2 inch).
A lot of technology is that way. A new something comes along and the inventor and no-one besides quite understands it's implications, where it leads to in the future so the technology simply flounders about slowly evolving. Eventually something comes along and forces a change or someone finds a tiny solution to some big problem which has far reaching implications. It happens a lot.

Latest posts

Back