it could be me but i don't think so

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

artrans

Well I really enjoy this site but and excuse me if Iam wrong but it appears that i have posted a few topics and I get little to no response. It seems that the same members are the ones that are texting back to one another.I have been in many clubs and I no there are always clicks.But in this case for the must part its a club where the chances of every meeting any of you is not likley. So for the most part we are friends of words and projects which is great.
But I posted at least 5 topics and got 3 responses.But you can see they where looked at.
Any way I enjoy the site very much and the talent is top notch but just had voice my feelings. thanks art

Art your posts and contributions here ARE noticed and appreciated!

Please allow me to assure you there are no "clicks" here.
The whole reason HMEM exists is due to just just that.

I always called it the "Old Boys Club".
You'd make a post on hobby machining forum and the 5 or 6 resident "Old Boys Club".
members would chime in to point out just how lacking of knowledge you were.

(I think that came to type well considering I am thinking they "Dumb F%$k"the newbies.)

That is not something you will ever see here at HMEM. If you ever do, check back in 10 minutes.
It will be GONE! It's who we are and what we want this site to be.

Your input is appreciated!

Rick

I had similar experiences on other lists, but not on HMEM. I for one lately only follow the "recent" posts (time, time time...), so if I don't visit the list for a day or two, things go past me... and that may be true for many other members.

Of course, your questions are maybe a bit complicated to answer for the average list member, and they tend to turn away from answering and sounding stupid ??? :big: :big: ;)

Cheers!

Art,
It's going to be like any other social situation. You'll have to give people time to get to know you.
It's just human nature.
Lurk around, ask questions. Eventually people will warm up to you.

Sorry to hear that no one replies. I myself do not reply to anything I do not know(which is a lot being new to machine work)but don't despair. I am sure if someone knows the answer they will reply and reply with some good answers. I have seen your posts but alas do not know the proper reply to help so as is my way of dealing with something I don't know, I just read the post and don't reply. Guess I should reply and say I don't know at least that way the person doing the posting at least knows someone looked at it. Hang in there.

hitandmissman said:
Sorry to hear that no one replies. I myself do not reply to anything I do not know(which is a lot being new to machine work)but don't despair. I am sure if someone knows the answer they will reply and reply with some good answers. I have seen your posts but alas do not know the proper reply to help so as is my way of dealing with something I don't know, I just read the post and don't reply. Guess I should reply and say I don't know at least that way the person doing the posting at least knows someone looked at it. Hang in there.

That is the best attitude as far as I'm concerned. It is the ones who jump in with "OPINIONS" rather than
knowledge that turns me off. No answer means either no one knows or they don't have the time to give
a complete answer. (like if a very long and complicated question) A good example is a lot of electrical
questions that generate so many opinions that are completely off the wall that I have quit even reading
those.
...lew...(retired electronic engineer) :)

This topic sparked a good reply in about 15 min and its off topic of the sites meaning. I don't no. Sorry I guess I am a little cranky with the enconomy and bussiness being off did't mean to offend anyone. Just live is a struggle of late so everything seems to become a issue. sorry to all thanks art

Art, I'm sorry you didn't get the answer to your question. Like many on this board, I am a hobbyist and not a professional machinist. Consequently, I am light on theory and most of my knowledge comes from personal experience. If I read a post that involves something I have done, I will probably answer with something that worked or didn't work for me. Otherwise, I sit back and watch to see if someone posts information that could be helpful to me.

Personally, I have left several forums where every post is answered by the same people with quotes from their latest Google search. On one forum, I went to meet a poster, looking for a mentor, and found a computer geek with a basement full of computer junk, not machine tools.

This is a very friendly, helpful board so hang in, contribute what you can, and I am sure you will get answers if someone has them.

opinions right or wrong sometimes sparks a new idea that would not come to light with out
that opinion being voiced. There are no stupid opinions or answers if one thing from them comes though then it was worth the response. Its like ever have your car not start and your wife says mybe its out of gas. And under your beather you say right what the hell does she no about cars after checking everything you see the gauge says it has gas but does it. could she be right well yes she can.

Hang in there Artrans--We're all a little cranky about the economy. I'm supposed to be working, designing wonderfull prototype machines, and here I set farting around on the steam engine websites!!! Sometimes, if I can answer a question or make an intelligent comment, I join in. sometimes, I have nothing to say, so I don't. I always remember that old axiom "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt!!! ;D ;D ;D

Art, I think the replies already to your post indicate the friendly nature of this board. It is without a doubt the most open and positive board I have ever visited, and now is pretty much the ONLY one I visit. As others have said, I often don't comment if its a topic I know nothing about, and sometimes work or other things don't allow me to visit or contribute as often as I may like, but ALWAYS I enjoy seeing the comments, ideas, and results of others whether they be new to the hobby or experienced beyond my capabilities. Like many hobbies, home shop machining is a journey and not as destination. We have all had help along the way and it doesn't hurt to be reminded that we can and should do that for others.

Bill

Brian Rupnow said:
I always remember that old axiom "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt!!! ;D ;D ;D

Brian,

How true. :bow:

Artrans,

As Rick said your posts are appreciated and we all have a "Bad Hair Day"

Like many others here, I joined this forum because there is very little Expert, (X the unknown factor, spurt a drip under pressure), opinion expressed. Comments are almost always positive, helpful and supportive.

If there is something you feel we could do better, please tell us. With over 1800 members now it's very easy to miss something which is important to somebody. It's also very easy to think you have replied, press a wrong button and your reply disappears into cyberspace.

Best Regards
Bob

Artrans
Back when the board began it was easy to respond to nearly every post, and most of us did so. It's a much larger board now and I find I have to be selective about which ones I even read, or I'd be here almost around the clock. I probably miss quite a bit of the general chatter for that simple reason. Unless a thread title catches my curiosity, chances are I simply don't manage to read it through.

I have had a number of threads that got very little attention too. It's just the nature of the beast. I figure that someone who's lurking about the board might possibly gain some needed info and that's enough for me. If it only helps one, then it's a win for both of us. I simply don't take it personally.

Steve

Art:
Hang in there. There are many reasons that folks do not post. People lead busy lives, we have jobs some browse and post on other forums.
Do not take it personally I am I guess what would be considered a charter member of the board and I too have posted stuff that is seemingly ignored. Some of the members here are just plain lurkers. I have a couple of friends that I know from model engineering shows that have been members here for close to a year they have never responded to my threads as a matter of fact neither one has responded to anyone's posts. So hang in have fun look and learn. I do not think anyone is intentionally ignoring you.
Welcome aboard.
Tin

Art,

I think everyone else has pretty much covered things. I have read what I believe is every post that you have made, and really can't remember if I have responded to any or not. :-[ If I haven't, then just know it is certainly not personal! Every member here is valuable to the community, and that is one thing that the HMEM team feels very strongly about.

What you brought up can be a funny thing... It is sometimes amazing to watch two threads on the same topic be posted about the same time, and one will take off and have numerous responses while the other kind of withers. It happens on every board out there.

Hang in there! Don't be discouraged, and certainly keep contributing!!

Kindest regards,
W/E

Hey Art,

I think everyone else covered it. Never fear about getting responses... even I have posts with only a couple of responses. Just keep getting involved...

As far as meeting some us goes?? You never know. I have met several people on this board in person and have the phone numbers to several others who I call and chat with.

Give yourself some time ;D

Eric

Hi Art :bow:

I am not sure if I have responded to any of your posts or not. Since I am a wannabe machinest I have a lot to learn so try to read very every post. If I can't answer the question in a positive way I don't. If it is a post to show some work that you have done then I may chip in a give my opinion on it. Radio Control is something else that will catch my attention. What most of the people on this forum use is metal. My material is wood so if a question were asked about wood I would probably be quicker to respond.

Like all the other posts above, the members here are second to none in knowledge and being helpfull to everyone

Cheers

Don

I have been here just a short time and have learned an awful lot, thanks everyone. The few times I have posted I have gotten a quick response and have had no complaints. I really apreciate the way newbie questions are handled with respect. I dont frequent boards that treat the newcomers badly..

Latest posts

Back