Inverted Hit n Miss Engine, Compressed Air

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very nice design and build, it would put on quite a show on steam!
I love IC. but you have me thinking about a compressed air engine now.

Peter

Nicely done Chuck...Very Very Nice :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks for sharing...
Jeff

Chuck, sounds great looks great and loved the video, you sure built that fast, someday hope to make it to retirement so I can play in the shop all day, or until I get tired, are you going to post a drawing of the machined parts, thanks for the time you took to share with us, Lathe Nut

Well Done Chuck! She really sounds great, and powerful too.

Kel

First, thanks to everyone for the appreciative comments. Always enjoy knowing people are watching. And, I do plan to post drawings for the engine after I get it finished.

I was drilling and tapping 2-56 holes in the brass governor balls today to hold the screws that the springs will attach to. Of course, on the second ball, the tap got stock and I broke it off trying to get it out. Still not sure why it stuck. Anyway, after a few minutes of muttering and resisting the impulse to throw the part across the shop, I got the torch out to heat up the ball so I could take it off and make another. After I got it off, I was standing there looking at it when it ocurred to me, why not just rotate the ball 90 degrees and glue it back on? So, that's what I did. I put the broken tap hole on the inside where it will probably never show any.

081f7a1c.jpg

Now if I can just drill and tap the holes without breaking a second tap... of course, I could always just rotate it 45 degrees and try again!

Chuck

I can't add much to what everybody else has said so I'll just say well done and I love the sound. Thm: Thm: Thm: Thm:

Ron

Here's another video, this time in hit n miss mode. It's hitting every 3rd revolution of the cam which is every 6th revolution of the engine. Since I posted this video, I've made a couple of changes. I opened up the inlet passages from 5/32 to 3/16". I think I have one more place, the hole in the side of the valve which is still 5/32 which I will check later. Now it's hitting about every 4th revolution. I'm also going to add an o-ring to the piston and see if that helps. But for now, it runs pretty good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNC36MoBCyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNC36MoBCyw[/ame]

Chuck

Latest posts

Back