Information on Coles Corliss Model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard, I found this when searching for a way to read the AD_PRT files- would you consider exporting them as step files-

"To export an AD_PRT file as a STEP file, open the file in Alibre Design's part designer. Then, select Save as... and save the file as a STEP file. This will allow you to use the part in other CAD programs."

Thanks, Ken.
I tested that out. Indeed it workt. However, it's more than 250 parts--that is, it's one hell of a project. As I am working, I really don't have the time for it. Had I known this, I might have spent a bit of time on it and maybe completed them but no way am I going to do it at this time.

Exchanging files between 3D programs, or even between different versions of the same 3D program is the Achilles heel of 3D modeling to some extent.

There are a few file formats that work pretty well as far as exchanging 3D model files, but most of the these files either cannot be modified, or have limited modification capabilities.

I have gotten 3D exchange files from JasonB, and used them successfully with a 3D printer, so there is use beyond being able to modify them.

Richard, Thanks so much for posting the files. After I convinced my computer it was ok to extract the files, I opened a bunch of them. I was disappointed that you didn’t show the screw threads…just kidding!! I can’t wait to start making chips.
Did you ever do an Alibre assembly of your parts?
I hate to be needy, but do you have an image of this model Corlis? Are these drawings the model of the two that you have?
Thanks again.

Richard, Thanks so much for posting the files. After I convinced my computer it was ok to extract the files, I opened a bunch of them. I was disappointed that you didn’t show the screw threads…just kidding!! I can’t wait to start making chips.
Did you ever do an Alibre assembly of your parts?
I hate to be needy, but do you have an image of this model Corlis? Are these drawings the model of the two that you have?
Thanks again.
This is the model I have, howefer, I have consolidated a few of the pieces in the drawings. the screw threads are difficult to make easily to show in the drawings, not impossible but not worth the time. However, in the original drawings there were all kinds of different threads, some that are definitely out of date. so what I am doing is standardizing the threads for my own purposes into three or four threads. Many are 32tpi but I use others according to the size of the screw. I have several standard sized taps and dies and certain ones R & L handed. For exterior threads, I can almost certainly single point them but for internal ones, no way for tiny sized holes.

There is a series of magazine articles from the 90s (ME?) that has all the original parts plus a sort of build log. I could not understand much of that build log but there was a few titbits that helped out. With the usual techniques the machinist can figure out the order of cutting with a bit of thot.

At the moment I am struggling with the throttle body. I am making a radius turner but I only have a milling attachment to make it with (and the lathe of course). The throttle system has to me machined "in situ", that is, the parts havfe to be assembled then drilled and reamed. The threads are all non standard diameters. I don't know what the callout for the threads is but I have standardized them to 32tpi. I thimpfks this is different from the original.

Yes, I have assemblys. Did you get those articles? They are on the web somewhere, if not, let me know.

I spent hours searching the web. I found lots of interesting items but no build article, so if you could send a link or the article it would be appreciated.
I 3D printed the throttle body, chucked it up to see if my ball turning tool would work. Nope! As you can see, this tool is ok for rounding the end of shafts, but it will interfere with the flange.
I too will have to do something different.

Attachments

• F8353ACE-2AC4-4CF4-96A3-08CC94F024CF.jpeg
    F8353ACE-2AC4-4CF4-96A3-08CC94F024CF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
I spent hours searching the web. I found lots of interesting items but no build article, so if you could send a link or the article it would be appreciated.
I 3D printed the throttle body, chucked it up to see if my ball turning tool would work. Nope! As you can see, this tool is ok for rounding the end of shafts, but it will interfere with the flange.
Looks like it workt reasonably well.

PM me or send your eddress. I thimpk yousent it to me once but I forgot to writ it down and now I don't know hwere it is.

Latest posts

Back