Indexable Milling Cutter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babba

Reaction score
I'm quite interested in this deal :-

http://www.engineeringsupplies.co.uk/20mm-mill-cutter-inserts-deal-pack-aluminium-grade-p-1817.html

I use indexable cutters on the lathe & we get on very well together, mostly because I don't want to get into regrinding the tips.

In the mill I'm using carbide cutters, mostly 10mm-14mm which due to their price are not really worth having reground.

I'm a little confused about this cutter, it's not centre cutting so how does it plunge into pockets? I'm assuming it has to be ramped.

I'd need to use it mainly for peripheral milling but the Kennametal site mentions a 14mm depth of cut capacity? Does this refer to the tips size, I need to mill down at least 26mm.

I've found both the inserts & the tool holder on kennametals site but very little basic info on how to use them.

Hi Babba
these cutters will not plunge cut they will need a clearance hole or ramping in.The 14mm depth of cut is the max cut in one pass owing to tip length,but the cutter will cut to 39mm deep if required.The finish obtained in side cutting using these tools is fairly good if you only go down to a maximum of one tip depth(14mm)however if you then cut deeper around the same profile you can expect a rather poor blend between the two cuts especially with the smaller machines normally found at home.Other than these small concerns on aluminium they last for ages and I reckon all those tips will last forever.

best regards Steve c.

Thanx, it's all becoming clearer.

I really do need the full flute length to blend in the cuts, so I reckon you just saved me £169.

You could still have one, the Chinese ones are only a fraction of the price and work just as well, maybe not for a lifetime, but you are not in a production environment, so they should last as long as you need it.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Milling-Cutters/Indexable-Carbide-Cutters

I have used one of these over the last few years, and are great to have in your arsenal.

The little hogger set.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local...N=CHRONOS_2007_XMAS_OFFERS.html#aGX102#aGX102

Gives you 45 degrees, round corner and what you have already been looking at. The tips are reversible, so on the tringular ones, you have six cutting tips, I am still on my first edge after a very lot of use.

Blogs

The little hoggers are pretty nice.

I'm also quite keen on APKT insert milling cutters. I have an Iscar Helimill 5/8" indexable endmill that is sweet and uses these inserts. I just got a deal on a facemill with the same inserts (nice not to have to stock yet another insert type). Recently I notice Shars has APKT insert cutters on sale. If I wasn't already tooled up I'd be looking at those.

Cheers,

BW

I have this one.

1inR8Cutter.jpg

1inR8CutterEnd.jpg

Another China import.
It works very well when it's limits are respected.

Rick

Back