Indexable insert help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanol

Reaction score
Guys,
I have this set from Grizzly http://grizzly.com/products/7-pc-Deluxe-Tool-Holder-Set/G8787

I need new inserts but I am looking to get a better grade. the inserts are CBMH32.51, CBMH21.51 and SBMH32.51B. It looks like I could use a ccmt in place of these but the screw countersink is different. I haven't had any luck from carbide depot.

Anyone know of an insert interchangeability guide? At the cost of these I don't want to make a mistake and I am hoping I don't need to go back to Grizzly as the inserts supplied did not last very long.

Thanks,
Sean

There is a carbide insert chart here. Don't worry, it took me a while to get my head around it all too.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

From the little I know about this, most home shop carbide lathe tools tend to use the readily available TCMT (triangle) CCMT (diamond) or DCMT (skinny diamond) inserts.

You can probably fit CCMT inserts in place of the CBMH, but as you say the countersinks are different. The proper CCMT etc 40/60 double countersink TORX screws are available, assuming the holder threads are suitable. In the smaller insert sizes they will be M2.5, 3.0 or 3.5

Bob,
Thanks!

I looked at the same chart but couldn't find an exact crossover. I emailed Kennametal and they said due to the relief angle the CCMT wouldn't fit. I inspected the holder and it looks like it has no provision at all for relief angle so I am ordering some CCGT's to see if they work (I got this of off your website, I've spent quite a bit of time there ;D)

I will let you know what happens when I get them in. Grizzly's prices aren't bad but the inserts don't last long at all (at least in a newbie home shop environment :eek:)

Sean

Bob,
I am so sorry, I got you confused with Bob Warfield of CNCCOOKBOOK fsme.
My apologies! :-[

Thanks again for the advice,
Sean

Latest posts

Back