Indexable bits info needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mcgyver
Sorry if you felt targeted, but I don't recall mentioning your name, unless you were among those tiny toed angels doing the soft shoe. My point was that for all the esoterica there were two points of view, both of which were achieving acceptable results. From there it fell into the abyss of "who's method is right". Since both methods work, why is it important that one be considered the "winner"? Two alpha males and only one tree?

I followed the discussion with interest and soon realized that I'd already instinctively discovered a lot of what was being said. My machine is light, so my tools have to be sharp and nicely raked to cut easily in most materials. If I cut too deep or cut too fast the machine and the tool suffers. If I flycut with too much tool overhang the hammer effect pops up causing undesired effects to both. Knowing why is useful, as is the knowledge that heat has measurable effect, too much surface speed, chip coloration.... etc.

The "shot across the bow", as you call it,a was simply to say both of you can be right and no one has to lose any face by saying "if your way works for you, use it". I'll probably find need to use both of your techniques somewhere along the way, thus becoming the more versatile cat skinner myself.

Steve

Mcgyver, I greatly respect your machining skills. I've gotten considerable inspiration from several of your projects as you may know if you have visited my site. Thank you for sharing your valuable insights on speeds and feeds.

Best Regards,

Bob Warfield

thanks Bob, sorry if i was to crotchety on this one, i have to develop my curmudgeon persona some how.

but I don't recall mentioning your name, unless you were among those tiny toed angels doing the soft shoe. My point was that for all the esoterica there were two points of view, both of which were achieving acceptable results

didn't feel targeted, i felt that the knowledge was belittled....the above remark suggests i wasn't succuessfull in the thread.... I was trying to make it not esoterica; what goes on when making a chip and how different things interact is knowledge that anyone interested in metalwork should have and is fundamental and should every be viewed as being for the elite. It wasn't a right or wrong of two ways discussion, it was trying to explain some fundamentals. anyway, i recognize that if what i was saying didn't register as intended, the fault is mine. onward and upward

Latest posts

Back