I want to give you all some advice.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best best wishes to you and your family, i hope your father makes a quick and full recovery.

Thank you all so much for the prayers and kind words. I talk to my mom and dad every day on the phone (they are 3 hours away) and he is already making AMAZING progress! My mom works with him several times a day and he has remastered the alphabet, days of the week, months of the year, and other ordered lists like that. They have been driving around reading street signs, billboards, etc, and she says he is getting better by the minute. Talking to him on the phone, unless you knew him before the fact, you'd just think he was distracted and stumbling for an occasional word. His attitude when it happens is "Aww to &^%$ with it...must not be important." :big: Today on the phone he stopped me in my tracks with "I love you son" out of the blue. In 41 years I don't remember him ever saying it first, or with such feeling. I think he is going to be alright guys. I really do. ;D

Websterz,
I know first hand what your father is going through. Five years ago I woke up one morning and my right side was paralyzed. Walking was difficult and my hand was useless. I made it into my office and typed out an email with only my left hand telling my boss that I wouldn't be in to work that day, then proceeded to drive myself to the hospital, about 2 miles away.

They ran a bunch of tests and after a couple hours told my I'd had a stroke. Actually, at least two of them. I was living at our house in New Mexico at the time and my wife was in St Louis, so I was all alone. We made travel arrangements and I was soon in St Louis for surgery.

I could not use my right hand, the fingers were curled inward into a loose fist, I couldn't straighten them. I couldn't feed myself or sign any papers. Simple tasks suddenly became near impossible. Like your father I had trouble with words. I knew what I wanted to say but no longer had the vocabulary.

Over the next several weeks I practiced writing. I walked several times a day, not far at first, but kept stretching it out as far as I could. Walking was the first thing to improve and I could almost fully open my hand. After about a month I could finally sign my name. Other writing and typing quickly followed. My vocabulary also recovered though I still have problems with words to this day.

I still have difficulties, mostly reading and writing. But also my fingers don't work quite as well as they used to. Last year I was offered and accepted the position of database administrator within my company, a promotion of sorts. This was after the stroke.

I'm telling this so that you will know, and you can relay it to your father, that he can recover from this. There will be a point when things get much better. But he has to practice, he can't give up. He can lead and enjoy a normal life. Some things will be different, certainly, but it doesn't have to keep him down. The brain has an amazing capacity to repair itself, but it has to know what is broken. So keep trying to do things he did before, be safe, but keep at it.

I offer your father, and your family, the most heartfelt and sincere wishes for a speedy recovery and many more years of love and life together.

Thanks for the update Web. Thats great to hear.

Ron

Good News Web, thanks for the update.

Best Regards
Bob

thats great news web.keepem close cause someday they wont be there i suredo miss mine

Latest posts

Back