I need 10 good men----

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian,

Still taking builders?

If so I would like to be considered.

Southern California ;)

Pat H.

Brian,

Do you have a BOM for each version yet? I don't have the material even for the frame/base you've posted, and will have to order. Plus, I haven't decided which versoin to make yet. I'd like to order as much as possible at one time to save shipping if possible.

Otherwise, I'll have to build the foundry I've been threatening to make and cast some aluminum.

Chuck

Brain I have about 3 sq. of 3/8 diamond plate It will machine out at just under 3/8 . I could use for the base . Of coarse this may not be thick enough .Please let me know .Dale

Guys, you are all heartily welcome to join in. I love the response I am getting to this build. I don't have a bill of material yet, because I have only completed the drawings I have posted. However---There are only one or two more major aluminum part left and I will get a drawing of them up today some time. Diamond plate won't make a very good base unless you machine all the diamonds off to give a flat surface, and then I think it would be a bit too thin. Ground rules for the build are #1--I would like you to start your own thread on the build, separate from mine, which is now in "A Work in Progress" and #2 That you make at least one part per week. This way we can talk back and forth as the builds progress, and we won't screw up each others threads. Welcome, Welcome!!!---Brian

RiverGypsy--First 4 drawings are up in new thread. "Rupnow i.c. Engine with Governor"---Dalem--I can't tell from your posts--What part of the world do you live in?

Dalem--Everybody builds their own engine. Everybody starts their own individual post to show their progress and we can "cross talk" to other members building the same engine to ask about any problems or questions we may have.

Brian - Just letting you know that I will be forced to 'metrify' your engine (imperial is just too hard down here). Mostly that will just affect fasteners as I don't want to change the scale at all, but I'm looking at a bunch of 8mm shafting I have on hand which I'm tempted to use for the crank. Bearings are readily available and are a close OD to the ones you're using. Any opinion on this?

The only other possibly difference I'm considering is cast iron rings. I assume you'll be using an o-ring based on your last experience with cast iron, but the ones I made for my Upshur are working great for me.

Brian - Just letting you know that I will be forced to 'metrify' your engine (imperial is just too hard down here). Mostly that will just affect fasteners as I don't want to change the scale at all, but I'm looking at a bunch of 8mm shafting I have on hand which I'm tempted to use for the crank. Bearings are readily available and are a close OD to the ones you're using. Any opinion on this?

The only other possibly difference I'm considering is cast iron rings. I assume you'll be using an o-ring based on your last experience with cast iron, but the ones I made for my Upshur are working great for me.
Probably 8MM shaft would work, but I wouldn't go any smaller. 3/8" is 9.5 mm. 8mm is 0.3150". If cast iron rings work for you, go for it!!!

Latest posts

Back