I need 10 good men----

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I need ten good men!!! I want to try something different this time. I am going to detail and build this engine, as outlined on this thread.--- http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f16/i-may-design-i-c-engine-21117/ . Any of you on the board who have followed my posts over the years will know that what I build works. I want 10 experienced (or semi experienced) people to build this engine with me. The plans will all be free. I will detail an alternate air cooled cylinder instead of the water cooled version which is shown. You can build it with or without the governor (although I think that may well be the most interesting part of the entire engine.) You can build it either water cooled or air cooled. I would like to get at least one builder from each of the major countries around the world. My plans will be in imperial, however, if you are an experienced enough builder to tackle something like this, doing a metric conversion shouldn't be a major stumbling block for you. If you choose to "Build along with Brian", I would like you to start a post on this forum and show us your work as it develops. I will give any advise asked for, and try to explain any weird or different "set-ups" that are required. I will be posting the drawings and pictures of my build in the "A work in Progress" section as I go along. If I find any errors (shudder) in the drawings as I build, I will quickly let everyone know and revise the drawing. I think this could be a load of fun. I know its summer (at least on this side of the globe) and the build may not go blazingly fast, but believe me, it will happen. Who's in????---Brian

Last edited:
Id do it, but I havent been able to find the time to finish my webster yet. Too maky other project going on right now...

I need one good woman Rof} sorry Brian I couln't resist

I'd be game for this. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and use lathes all day at work and have got myself set up with a little workshop at home and I'm looking for a project to do when I'm not working on the motorbikes. Just one query is there a time frame in which to complete it?
All the best James.

Hi James--Thanks for stepping up and saying Hi. No real hard and fast time frame. I will probably be finished all the detail drawings sometime next week, and then I will post them and start carving parts myself. I would like it if everyone "signing up" could make at least one part per week. There are a total of 95 parts, but probably 15 of them are purchased components, i.e. bearings, bevel gears, sparkplug, and ignition point parts.

Brian, I fall into the lower end of Semi-Experienced, with 4 engines to my credit. Can I join in? I've not done an IC engine yet.

Chuck

Brian, I fall into the lower end of Semi-Experienced, with 4 engines to my credit. Can I join in? I've not done an IC engine yet.

Chuck
Chuck, I would love to have you join in. Technically, this engine is probably at about the same level as the Kerzel hit and miss, and probably 50% more complex than the Webster. I would say "Go for the engine" first. Water or air cooled, your choice (but the air cooled has a few less pieces.) Then if you feel your skills are up to it, take on the governor. I learned on the Webster and the Kerzel, but there wasn't any older more experienced fellows building either of those engines at the same time I was building them. Still though, I was given a lot of help and really good advise from senior members of this forum. Once I get the drawings up, I would like you to start your own build thread on the forum, and we can compare notes as we progress into the build.---Brian

Hey Brian,
this. his something i would have loved
but I don't qualifye 'm from Canada and you want diffèrent countries

cheers

Luc

Hi,

If the time frame's not too tight, then please count me in too ;)
What sort of materials are you thinking of for this one, Brian?

Dave

Luc--You're from Quebec, and that ALMOST qualifies!!! Joke Luc--Its a Joke!!! I would love to have you join us. I never intended to limit this to one person from each country. A man with your technical background should have no problem with a build like this. Please join in and build with us. We would love to have you.---Brian

Cogsy--For reasons known only to my heart, I really hoped an Aussie would step up. Welcome man and may the force be with you!!!-

Last edited:
RiverGypsy---By all means, WELCOME!!! Where are you in the world?--I can't tell from your posting. The frame will be nearly all from aluminum. The flywheels and shafts will be mild steel. If you are independently wealthy and own a couple of small islands in the Caribbean, then the flywheels and the governor should be made from brass and polished. I am hoping that everyone who gets involved will make a minimum of one part per week, each week, beginning next week.----Brian

Luc--You're from Quebec, and that ALMOST qualifies!!! Joke Luc--Its a Joke!!! I would love to have you join us. I never intended to limit this to one person from each country. A man with your technical background should have no problem with a build like this. Please join in and build with us. We would love to have you.---Brian

Rof}Rof}Rof}count me in Brian, just keep me inform were to post the stuff. It's going to be a first project with my new lathe and new DRO set up
I hope it's just as accurate as the other one was

cheers

Luc--I would like everyone who builds this engine to start their own "thread" on this forum---i.e.--'Luc builds Rupnow Engine". That way we can keep from flooding each others posts, and yet still visit back and forth as the engines develop.---Brian

Lol, Ely in the UK here, and unfortunately no islands, but I do know of a good stash of brass ;)

So, Brian, when do we get to see the first finalised drawing(s)?

Latest posts

Back