I love this hobby.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job.

What kind of paint did you use? You might be able to very lightly sand the parts (1000 or finer paper), and buff it out. Or, sand it and put on a clearcoat to bring up the shine.

rleete

First, I would like to thank you for directing me to Nicks plans. This was a great first time build.

As far as the paint goes: It's Pasti-kote Industrial All-Purpose Enamel. I agree with you. When the weather gets warmer, I'm going to sand it and spray a few light coats on it.

90LX_Notch,

Thanks for choosing my engine, I'm glad it all went to plan for you and hope other's will try it now based on your success.

Stupid question but I assume you didn't paint the port faces? That would dramatically degrade performance! :big: ;)

Can't wait to see the video!

Nick

I can't get the video to upload to YouTube. :mad: It keeps giving me an "unknown error" message. ??? I try some more today. :-\

Nick- The ports were blocked off when I painted it and I used a 60* countersink to open them up after paint. The thing runs great. Half the time it will start without turning the fly wheel when the air is applied to it. It runs in both directions depending on which port the air is applied to.

Sounds great! Sorry I can't help with youtube, I use photobucket!

Nick

Finally after two days:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRwQtJ5OpI[/ame]

It's noisy because I used a portable tire compressor for air.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BLOODY GOOD JOB

Thanks for taking us along with you, It's great to see the whole process, Well done.

Kind regards

Malcolm

That is very pleasing to see! Well done! What's the next project then?!

;D

Malcolm- Thank you for the compliments.

Nick- Once again thank you. I don't know what the next project will be. Since I don't have the ability to mill anything it prevents me from attempting quite a few engines. Drilling and filing can only get me so far.

You'd be surprised what you can do with drills, files and a lathe!

What sort of lathe is it? Do you have a four jaw chuck? Also, with a vertical slide, milling is possible in a lathe.

Nick

Speaking of files, didn't the oldtime apprentices have to spend lots of time with a file before they ever even got to touch a machine? Also, in one of the Bedside Readers I remember a fascinating article about how WWII POWs in a Japanese POW camp built a beautiful lathe and all the components with just files, chisels and a few other hand tools. And they hid it all from the guards. Amazing!

jlmanatee said:
Speaking of files, didn't the oldtime apprentices have to spend lots of time with a file before they ever even got to touch a machine?

You sure got that right
wow.gif
Not to mention a hammer and various chisels + a hand hacksaw. (That's where I learned to use a hammer with either hand because the other hand was mangled from missing the chisel and it gave it a break).

The first year of my 5 year apprenticeship. In addition no mikes verniers etc. Calipers and a steel scale and a magnifying glass tolerance +/- 0.002" Oh, after the 1st six months we were allowed to operate a drill press.

Best Regards
Bob

Nick- It's an old Craftsman/Atlas 618. I do not have a four jaw chuck for it yet; nor the funds for one at this time. I have a dog drive plate for it and after seeing Steamers use of a face plate I have some ideas for the future.

Nick, jlmanatee and Maryak- Yes, a lot can be done with a file. The small slot in the frame was done with one as well as truing up the frame after hacksawing. My drillpress has a lot to be desired. A mill would just be nice but, that's a long way off at this point.

Latest posts

Back