I love this hobby.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90LX_Notch

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is such a great hobby. I have been slowly making the parts for my first engine. The experience thus far has been a great one. If it runs when I am done the experience will be incredible.

Building each piece has forced me to start using my brain again. My problem solving skills have been waining the last five years because I am a stay at home Dad. This project has forced me to solve quite a bit of issues ie: how to hold parts; material substitution, an old lathe that needed quite a bit of adjustment, etc.

I never thought that I would find something to replace racing but I believe I may just have found it. I would really like to thank those who make this board possible. Without it, I would have never decided to get involved.

It's great to have you here! I like the creative outlet and the great opportunity for problem solving .....I'm glad you do too.

Dave

Hi Notch

Welcome aboard. If you have the facility could you show us some pictures of your progress so far ? ( we like pictures a lot ) ;D

Quote "I would really like to thank those who make this board possible. " You are one of those people.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards

Malcolm

yes this is a great hobby. welcome home and we like pics. please share ideas too.

Notch,
Welcome. It only gets better ;D

Kevin

90LX_Notch said:
My problem solving skills have been waining the last five years because I am a stay at home Dad. This project has forced me to solve quite a bit of issues ie: how to hold parts; material substitution, an old lathe that needed quite a bit of adjustment, etc.

Luck you - my are waning due to an incurable disease, (old mature age ;D). This forum still keeps "Gerry and the Hat Tricks" in song and dance mode. ::)

I never thought that I would find something to replace racing but I believe I may just have found it. I would really like to thank those who make this board possible. Without it, I would have never decided to get involved.

I felt the same about sailing but managed to realise that my ambition far outweighed my capabilties. :eek:

I hope you enjoy it here at least half as much as I do.

Best Regards
Bob

I will try to get some pictures up. My parts definitely are not the works of art like those I see here, but I'm trying. I have to walk before I can run. Also, I need to learn allot. That's why I am so grateful for this site.

Thanks to all who responded with warm welcomes.

90XL...
Function first... Bling later. Keep in mind sometimes the bling is purely to
distract you from seeing all the mistakes...(grin)

Steve

Here is a picture of the engine so far with the parts I made (excluding the nut and spring).

The frame is wider because I used a 2x3 hollow steel bar. The crank was a 350 Chevy head bolt from an ARP kit. The crank pin was a ARP Ford accessory bolt. The pivot pin was a head bolt from Briggs & Stratton small engine.

The engine I am building is NickG's oscillator. http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=3810.0

ARP= Automotive Racing Products

DSC02205.JPG

90LX_Notch said:
The crank was a 350 Chevy head bolt...
The crank pin was a ARP Ford accessory bolt...
head bolt from Briggs & Stratton small engine.

You sure you weren't listening to Johnny Cash when you selected your parts? ;D

Kevin

"You sure you weren't listening to Johnny Cash when you selected your parts? "

That's a good one ksouers. :D I really want to make it from as much stuff that I have lying around as I can. Don't ask me why. Probably because it enhances the thinking/planning/creative part of the experience. I really need to get my brain working again.

Nah!
The reason for using stuff laying around is to
MAKE ROOM FOR NEW STUFF.
BR

Boy isn't that truth. My neighbor came home from work today and gave me the following bars (dia x length): 1.250 x 7.5 Stainless, .750 x 6.0 Stainless, .50 x 5.5 stainless, and 3 pieces of .625 x 7.0 cold rolled.

90LX_Notch said:
Boy isn't that truth. My neighbor came home from work today and gave me the following bars (dia x length): 1.250 x 7.5 Stainless, .750 x 6.0 Stainless, .50 x 5.5 stainless, and 3 pieces of .625 x 7.0 cold rolled.

On his next trip over it'll be with a print to make parts out of those hunks of metal he gave you. :big:
Then the real fun will begine

Bernd

He knows that I just got into this hobby and have been scrounging up material to make my first engine and will need more for the next one. Also, I snow plow his driveway for free.

Well, I finished the engine tonight and it ran on the first shot. What a great feeling. I built it for my five year old son and had him assemble most of it. It was really cool to watch the little thing cranking right along. I was more excited then my son.

The batteries are dead in the camera as usual so I will post a picture tomorrow. I will also see if I can get a video of it. The paint didn't come out that good. It's been cold here in Pennsylvania and I can only paint outside.

stevehuckss396 said:
My secret is out!

I'd definitely agree with all of this!

I've just found this thread and feel quite proud that somebody has decided to make an engine based around my design! I just hope it works! ;) But seeing as your components thus far put mine to shame I have no doubt that it will!

That's the name of this game when you're starting out too, improvisation! My next project is going to be a flame licker based around Jan Ridders internal valve design, however, I will be using a cast iron flywheel that I machined many years ago and the glass spirit burner from the chemistry set I had in my early teens!

Nick

Whoops, I replied without realising there was a 2nd page. Congratulations 90LX_Notch, can't wait to see the pictures and video of the finished engine.

Nick

Here are the pics. I am unable to post the video at this time. I will try tomorrow to make it available.

I have to make a nice base for it and repaint the yellow. The cold air killed the final coat on the frame. The cylinder and cover came out completely horrible.

DSC02207.JPG

DSC02210.JPG

Nick

Thank you for the design. It was a perfect first engine, especially since I don't have a milling machine. rleete was the one who ponted me to it.

I highly doubt that my components put yours to shame.

Good luck with your next build. It sounds very interesting.

Latest posts

Back