howell v4 ignition spark wrong

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic

Reaction score
hi

have v4 completed, however the plugs will only spark when rotation is clockwise at the flywheel, spark is good and timing correct when clockwise. the engine is designed for anticlockwise rotation. the hall effect is lighting up ok, have checked wiring etc. any ideas

mic

I'm assuming it's a Hall ignition and in that case it should spark in either direction. The spark is created when the magnet passes the Hall sensor. It doesn't matter which way it goes.
gbritnell

hi

have v4 completed, however the plugs will only spark when rotation is clockwise at the flywheel, spark is good and timing correct when clockwise. the engine is designed for anticlockwise rotation. the hall effect is lighting up ok, have checked wiring etc. any ideas

mic
what your circuit like " diagram"
turn your magnet around

Check to see if the rotor in the distributor is in the correct position at the moment of spark. My V4 has a rotor conductor that looks like a slice of pizza. 2 of the cylinders fire on the leading edge of the conductor and 2 cylinders fire on the lagging edge. Took me a little bit to catch on to the way spark goes thru the cap.

thanks for replies, went back to v4 and found that rotor disc and magnet disc are not staying in position allowing the rotor disc to just miss when coil sparks in one direction ie a bit of back lash in the mitre gears. so will rework these items

mic

Latest posts

Back