Howdy from South Texas

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danuke

Reaction score
I went to lathe school on the Groton Submarine Base, in 1971. At the school and on the boats that I rode we had South Bend lathes. We carried no Machinery Repairmen (MRs) who actually are lathe, milling machine etc operators on the boats (they were stationed at the bases or on Sub Tenders). We did have Machinist Mates (me) who are a whole different things, and some of us were sent to lathe school so that there was someone who could try to make emergency fixes. I did, however, get to use all sorts of lathes after I finished welding school and was sort of on hold while waiting for orders to my first sub. Actually, I think that the MRs there were pulling some strings to keep me there long after my classmates had left. The Chief said that I took to the lathes like a duck takes to water, and after they taught me to use the turret lathes, I did all the work while they played cards. No complaints from me… it was the best duty that I ever had ;^).
The last time that I touched this type of machinery was in 1975. However I did enjoy it, along with steam components read turbines and the support systems. There were reciprocating steam driven pumps on a Destroyer that I was on while waiting for my orders to Nuke School after I finished Machinist Mate School. I found lots of time to play with them.

So now I want to make the model engines from castings. The machined version of those kits are really expensive. I am guessing that some sort of mini-lathe is in my future, and that I will be getting help from the members.

~DN

Welcome DN...it's kind of like riding a bike, you may be a bit rusty at it but the fundamentals are still there :). As you begin to get your feet wet again (bad pun i know) you may want to tackle a bar stock type project first since they are more forgiving....if you mess something up you simply remake it...with castings you have to procure a new casting for whatever part it is. Feel free to ask anything you need here...you will find it a most helpful bunch. Most of all, just enjoy yourself, be safe, and have fun!!!

Bill

Welcome DN and what part of south tx? I live in McAllen tx

David

DN,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

PS

There's only one thing I don't like about the boats. It's the fact that they are designed to sink. ;)

Welcome DN:
thanks for the introduction. sounds like you have the skills , just need to knock the rust and tarnish off shine polish and sharpen them. The army Machine tool manual tc 9-524 and the navy Machinery repairman's manuals are available for free download.
As far as engines from casting it is genrally recommended you build a couple few engines from bar stock first to get your skill level up.
Welcome to the board.
Tin

Welcome to the forum, DN. I live in the Austin area (Round Rock). If you ever get up this way, let me know.

Chuck

Welcome aboard from San Benito.

Sounds like you learned the fun way!

Pete

I snow bird in South Texas and would enjoy meeting up with other model engineers.

Steve C.

Maryak said:
DN,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

PS

There's only one thing I don't like about the boats. It's the fact that they are designed to sink. ;)

Yep; however; the key word is DESIGNED. Alas, there was never a guarantee that they would surface; frequent thought when I rode Nautilus.

Howdy David,
I say South Texas out of habit. I worked at the South Texas Nuclear Project for 17 years after leaving Arkansas Nuclear One in 1978.
Actually was born in Mercedes and grew up just north of Corpus. Now living south of Houston.

mgbrv8 said:
Welcome DN and what part of south tx? I live in McAllen tx

David

Use round stock rather than castings. Wow! I appreciate the advice, I sure would have never 'thunk' of that. I had been buying pre-machined kit$..
~DN

Latest posts

Back