how to

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianhorsepower

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm going to start posting a thread and would like to know
what are the proper procedure to post multiple pictures and having space in between so I can comment them

all I can do is post pictures but cant comment in between:wall:

thanks
for your help

cheers

Hi guys,
I'm going to start posting a thread and would like to know
what are the proper procedure to post multiple pictures and having space in between so I can comment them

all I can do is post pictures but cant comment in between:wall:

thanks
for your help

cheers

Hi.

OK .Gus will monkey.monkey do. Please show the way.

Luc

As Steve said Photobucket works real well for what you want
You can post a photo

Donkey winch for RC model boat

Side plates for the winch in the CNC mill

Dave

In Photo Bucket if you hover over a picture in your library there will be a small gear symbol in the upper right hand corner; put your pointer on the gear and you will get a menu. One of the choices will be "Get Links" click on this and then click on the bottom one that says "IMG codes". It will turn yellow and say copied. then you can paste the link into the forum editor. I use MS word then paste my whole message into the forum editor when I have it all ready. This way I can save my work as I go.

The pasted code will look like this; I removed some of the brackets so it wouldn't post the picture.

URL=http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/idahoan_1960/media/Model%20Builders%20Vise/Powarm_009.jpg.html IMG]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/idahoan_1960/Model%20Builders%20Vise/Powarm_009.jpg[/IMG][/URL

Do this for all the pictures leaving a space between for text; after you enter everything you want to say and hit post is should bring your pictures up along with the text.

Something like this; This is the picture from the above code but leaving the brackets in place so it would post properly.

Dave

fine what are the BABY steps to use Photo Bucket??
:hDe:

or the easy way to do it

Last edited:
Go to Photobucket.com. Register and set up a free account. Take digital pictures and post them somewhere on your computer. There will be an "upload photo's" button in the Photobucket page click on the "upload photo" button. Then it will ask you where are the photos you wish to upload. You direct it to the picture you have on the computer and click it, and it will be uploaded. Click on the img. code box beside the picture and it will turn yellow and say "copied". Start a post in HMEM, type what you want to say, then using your mouse, right click, select "paste" from the pop up menu or just hit "ctrl and C together on your keyboard and it will insert the link. When you close the text box in HMEM the picture will be there.---Brian

I have been a "premium" photobucket user for years. Over 5000 photos, all organized into folders. I can post to my websites, blogs and forums. I know there are plenty of free services to host photos but photobucket.com has it down to a science.

IMHO "G"

One concern I have about "for pay" photo services is that if the owner ever stop paying for the service, the photos effectively disappear. Many times I have looked at an older article (in this site, or others) with links to photobucket or some other photo service, and found that the link to the photo is long dead.

I use the Picasa free service. Since I don't pay, my photos will not disappear for lack of payment, but there is no guarantee that Google will not someday change the terms of service.

So - I don't really know if there is a good answer to this issue: How do I make sure my photos will be available on the Internet "forever?"

Here's an article comparing photo services, but it does not address the above issue:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...ng-the-best-ways-to-store-your-photos-online/

I have been a "premium" photobucket user for years. Over 5000 photos, all organized into folders. I can post to my websites, blogs and forums. I know there are plenty of free services to host photos but photobucket.com has it down to a science.

IMHO "G"

Many times I have looked at an older article (in this site, or others) with links to photobucket or some other photo service, and found that the link to the photo is long dead.

Many of those dead photos are a result of the poster having deliberately removed them as a way of showing displeasure when this site changed ownership. This childish behaviour has ruined what were once very often informative threads for hundreds of people. This is doubly troubling as often a google search will lead one to this site and one of these now useless threads.

I use the Picasa free service. Since I don't pay, my photos will not disappear for lack of payment, but there is no guarantee that Google will not someday change the terms of service.

Part of the problem with many of the free services is that they limit bandwidth as well as storage. Once one's bandwidth limit has been reached for the month, then no more of the posters photos will be displayed for the rest of the month. Which is another reason that one may often find threads with dead photos.

As an experiment, I just tried uploading a picture to a Personal Album on this site:

unimat000-751.jpg

It works :)

What I did, is choose Photos from the menu just below the picture of the project of the month, then chose Add New Album. After this was created I uploaded my image to my new album. Once it was uploaded, clicking on the image in my album opened up a page with the image information including a Direct Link to the image which is what I used here.

This does seem to be a way of ensuring that one's photos are available at least for the life of this site even if not "forever".

Your point about bandwidth limits is well made. Picasa does have bandwidth limits, but Google will not say what they are! This is an, at times, very frustrating thing about using Google services - if you break one of their rules they shut you down until you fix it, but they won't tell what rule you broke or how you broke it (this has happened to me twice with perfectly innocent posts which for some reason got flagged by their "rule bots").

Every option has pluses and minuses, and these may be different for different people. I keep all of my photos on a home network storage system (with backups), and upload copies of photos I want to share. Of course, most people will not want to expend resources on this kind of set-up, but I use it for other things as well, so it works for me.

Well one of the real big problems is that lots of people are too stupid to choose suitable picture size for the upload, compression ratios and picture resolutions for their application.

This generates lots of unnecessary expense, making free image hosting difficult on the long therm. Hosting forums becomes more expensive, too, by the way.

If someone wants to show the picture of a milling machine, its not necessary to include the whole shop interieur and the new car on the same picture, at full 16 megapixels resolution and 10megabyte image size. Everyone will see the milling machine at a resolution of 800x600 and 100kb size, if the picture ist cut to show the machine only. If details are needed, cut the picture to size and upload the interesting details.

I have 3000 photos on Photobucket and I just had to pay $30 a year for more bandwidth. I have always resampled photos to 800 pixels wide before upload. It was never the storage but the bandwidth at this resolution.

I used to use free Irfanview to do batch based downsampling. I put each projects photos in a separate folder and make a LoRes folder under it. Then use Irfanview to resize the folder into the LoRes folder. Then I upload these to a folder in Photobucket.

I still do the same thing but use Adobe Lightroom now.

At 2000 images, just create a new account with a different web adress, bingo its free

Here's another tip for Linux users: I use DigiKam for photo management on my computer - it includes the capability to upload while automatically resizing the uploaded photos. It will also import from websites if you want to back up a set of images. DigiKam includes built-in export function for Picasa and and number of other well known photo sites (and I believe you can configure others).

I use DigiKam on Ubuntu Linux, but I think it is also available for MS/Windows. Here is their web site:

http://www.digikam.org/

Latest posts

Back