How do!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Newbie alert!

As the handle probably gives away, I fix trains for a living. I also have an unhealthy addiction to playing with machine tools, new and old. I've recently developed an interest in model engines, with a view to eventually building a real diesel-electric model locomotive. Then, because that doesn't sound difficult ENOUGH, I fancy tackling a diesel-hydraulic!

So probably a lurker to begin with, until I learn enough to ask questions that are only mildly stoopid!

I am keenly interested in building a 2-stroke hot bulb diesel, which I think would be easier than some of the later diesel designs.

Welcome, glad you have you.

Pat J.

Hi. Newbie alert!

As the handle probably gives away, I fix trains for a living. I also have an unhealthy addiction to playing with machine tools, new and old. I've recently developed an interest in model engines, with a view to eventually building a real diesel-electric model locomotive. Then, because that doesn't sound difficult ENOUGH, I fancy tackling a diesel-hydraulic!

So probably a lurker to begin with, until I learn enough to ask questions that are only mildly stoopid!
Welcome to the Forum! Where in Wales? I visited North Wales many times in the late 90’s.

Here in central Pennsylvania diesel-driven hydraulics is commonly used by the Amish with hydraulic motors to power machine shops as they don’t require electricity.

Charlie

Hi. Newbie alert!

Welcome to the group

Dave

Welcome to the Forum! Where in Wales? I visited North Wales many times in the late 90’s.

Here in central Pennsylvania diesel-driven hydraulics is commonly used by the Amish with hydraulic motors to power machine shops as they don’t require electricity.

Charlie
Connahs Quay, near Flint. Right on the English border.

Didn't know about the Amish machine shop thing! Very cool.

Connahs Quay, near Flint. Right on the English border.
Never visited, but drove past many times on my way from Manchester to Caernarfon.

Didn't know about the Amish machine shop thing! Very cool.
Was different seeing lathes, milling machines & drill presses fitted with the hydraulic motors. In the office they had a ceiling fan with an air motor, and a floor lamp that was a Propane bottle with a small pipe that lead to a pair of gas mantles; definitely a different world.

Never visited, but drove past many times on my way from Manchester to Caernarfon.

Was different seeing lathes, milling machines & drill presses fitted with the hydraulic motors. In the office they had a ceiling fan with an air motor, and a floor lamp that was a Propane bottle with a small pipe that lead to a pair of gas mantles; definitely a different world.
Actually wasn't unknown in the UK, to be honest. Mad Jack, a machinist friend of my late father, had a 1930s Monarch lathe and Bridgeport mill with hydraulic power. No access to 3 phase power in the area back then so a bunch of the job shops had hydraulic powered shops driven by whatever castoff petrol or diesel engines they could get from the local scrapyard. Vaguely remember one in our area that had a vertical boiler steam engine driving a combination of hydraulic and lineshaft. And that was the mid 80s.

Actually wasn't unknown in the UK, to be honest. Mad Jack, a machinist friend of my late father, had a 1930s Monarch lathe and Bridgeport mill with hydraulic power. No access to 3 phase power in the area back then so a bunch of the job shops had hydraulic powered shops driven by whatever castoff petrol or diesel engines they could get from the local scrapyard. Vaguely remember one in our area that had a vertical boiler steam engine driving a combination of hydraulic and lineshaft. And that was the mid 80s.
The company I worked for in the 90's had some lineshaft equipment which was probably originally powered by steam, but had a motor when I was there. The work I was doing in Wales was related to consolidating operations between Wales & the U.S.: the lineshatft system was offered, but it was determined that Health & Safety changes would have cost as much as a new line.

Hi. Newbie alert!

Do you have any photos of those trains? Even if they are full size? I hope you can do a real diesel-electric locomotive model.

Hi. Newbie alert!

Hi,

Out of interest I am a member of the Hereford 7inch group who run several petrol / hydraulic locos on the track during our public running days. Basically a single cylinder petrol engine operating a hydraulic pump and through a control valve to control speed and direction to hydraulic motors on the driving wheels.

If this is of interest I can ask the group for more details.

Regards Fred

Advantage of electric is that it is clean. The disadvantage of hydraulic is that it tends to leak and thus leave a mess and collect dirt. It is also has less efficient than electric. Size of an engine and generator is comparable to engine, hydraulic pump and oil tank. A 240V generator and a VFD and 3 phase motor makes a very nice way to make a drive.

Advantage of electric is that it is clean. The disadvantage of hydraulic is that it tends to leak and thus leave a mess and collect dirt. It is also has less efficient than electric. Size of an engine and generator is comparable to engine, hydraulic pump and oil tank. A 240V generator and a VFD and 3 phase motor makes a very nice way to make a drive.
Are you referring to hydraulic motors on machines or trains? If trains, unless they are subway or overhead wire trains, electric loco’s get their power from diesel generators. If machines, Amish don’t use electrical power over 24VDC (unless absolutely necessary for the business, like a refrigeration system for milk storage so they can sell the milk).

Are you referring to hydraulic motors on machines or trains? If trains, unless they are subway or overhead wire trains, electric loco’s get their power from diesel generators. If machines, Amish don’t use electrical power over 24VDC (unless absolutely necessary for the business, like a refrigeration system for milk storage so they can sell the milk).
If you read the post that started this thread he said that he was thinking about making a diesel-electric unit, and maybe later working on a diesel-hydraulic unit.

Latest posts

Back