How do I remove the motor from a Hafco HM45 Mill?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieJimG

Reaction score
My Hafco HM 45 Mill/drill has stopped working. The switch is fine so it looks like the motor needs attention.

I have removed the bolts holding the motor to the head but it seems to be hitting on something in the gearbox that stops me from lifting it off.

Can anybody suggest a solution?

Jim

Hey Jim.

Mine did a similar thing. Mine had selective running problems. I found it wasn't the motor, but the motor controller (I think). For some time it wouldn't turn on and then one day it started but never ran with full power again. Also the rpm and torque was very poor.

I also have the hafco hm45 (sieg x2), but when I took the top plate off, that the motors bolted to, i remember it coming pretty cleanly off. I'm not to clear about that as it was awhile ago and it was removed for a belt conversions. Though since mine was playing up and really started to annoy me, I replace all the electrics with a 1.5kw high speed spindle.

Your display names says "aussie", so if your keen, your welcome to my motor, electrics and gearbox? One of the motor brush caps cracked but still secures the brush, and brushes might need replacing. It's yours for the taking, you might be able to mix and match.

I live in penrith, so if your not far away we can sort something out if not the postman can haha

Cheers
Ethan

Hi Ethan,

That's a very generous offer and Penrith is no too far from Bywong (just outside Canberra). Thank you.

I am not sure that our machines are the same since you mention Sieg X2 and belt conversion. Attached is a photo of my machine in its current state.

If the machines are the same and if I can get the motor off, I would be happy to take advantage of your offer and also to meet you.

Jim

IMG_1209.jpg

Hey Jim.

Ah im so sorry. Your correct! For some reason last night I got confused with the hm45 and hm10. My brain must be going crazy. I hope someone else can help you.

Regards
Ethan

After taking off the bolts on the motor, insert à pry bar between the motor and the machine casting and give à GOOD Wack on the side of the motor on the side opposed to the pry bar. It may take many wacks. Had the same problem with a Titan mill.

Thanks Buck, I got that far and I can lift it and rotate it but it only lifts a little way before hitting something inside. And it won't move sideways either. I have the gears in neutral; should I try all the other combinations?

Jim

Hi Jim, is the motor a 2 HP, I have a two Hp motor that looks very similar to yours but mine is on the smaller version of the mill ( I think it is the HM30) my motor played up and after some investigation, I replaced one of the capacitors and it is working fine now, did not have to remove the motor at all. It may be worth a try.
Regards
Nick

The motor move a littlee but seems to be held in place by some thing inside. I finally use small wood block between the motor base and the machine on one side of the motor and one other used a pry bar so that the motor was held as far out as possible, then i gave it some hard wacks and it came out. I got this advice from a guy who sell à copy of my Titan mill

Thanks Nick, it sounds like your motor is the same as mine. What tests do I need to do to see if the capacitor is the problem?

Buck: I did think about something like this but I am worried that I will snap off something inside. I have done this sort of thing in other places and then found that there was something simple that needed to be done. And then there is the remorse stage ...

If nothing else works, I might have to remove the whole top. When I was playing with old motorcycles, this approach to a job that should be quick and simple usually led to a complete strip down and rebuild.

Jim

Hi Jim, what is the exact problem with the motor, mine used to start to turn and then it would throw the circuit breaker, one of the capacitors, I think it was the 20uf 400 volt one was the problem, but was advised to replace both as they are about the same age therefore it would probably crap it self also, found both capacitors on e-buy (chinese) for about $10.00 each, local price was about $40.00 for 0ne and about $25.00 for the other. It may help if you are having the same problem. Th reason for the motor not being able to come out easy, may be that the shaft will still have the drive gear attached to it,, (only guessing)

Regards
Nick

Hi Nick, the motor just sits there humming which seems to indicate that the start winding is not operating. I know very little about motors but I have wondered if I should try rotating the motor to see if it keeps going. This would indicate a dud centrifugal switch, capacitor or start winding from what I can learn about single phase motors.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Jim

Jim,
I had a similar problem with the motor on my Grizzly 10x22 lathe. The motor would hum when I turned it on. In my case the centrifugal switch was burned and to have a new one installed would have cost about $150. My solution was to install a new motor and do some other mods that gave me more practical spindle speeds.

When you come to visit I'll show you my solution. It's been trouble free for 2 years

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks Phil, I look forward to that. I think I have found a way to lift it straight up and jiggle it using my engine crane. So I might be in the market for a new motor (or a new mill). Either way, I will try to take some photos. Should be good for a laugh.

Jim

Thank you everybody, the trick was to lift the motor vertically because the shaft goes through a bearing. And tilting and it binds.

Attached photos show my lifting method (using whatever came to hand).

The motor shaft has a key which (sucks boo to Murphy) did not fall into the gearbox when I lifted the motor. I hope I can get the motor back without it falling in as well.

Now to fix the actual problem.

Jim

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Latest posts

Back