Homemade sandblasters .

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dnalot !
Thanks for your pictures !
I watched a lot of homemade sandblasting videos, but never seen anything similar to yours. As for wood and lining , it's an easy material to get at a very low cost - it's probably free if I ask some of my friends :D

SmithDoor !
I choose the type with container because: small area and dust
" fast , simple , economical " : that is my goal , but it depends on a few things that i have to think carefully ( difficulties ...., there's no need to talk about it on the forum and I don't like to talk about it ;) )
I like a cabinet too but no room inside and but outside is only way have to blast.

Dave

I think Peter Twissell's comments do need a response. They might be light hearted but I feel they should be placed into context.

Pete wrote:-
"What is the world coming to?
Can't use sand for sandblasting.
Can't use solder for soldering.
Can't use paint stripper for paint stripping.... "

You can use sand for sand blasting but don't breath in the dust. This is easy to achieve for the modeler but not for industry which has to have liability insurance. Silica is known to kill and it can take a long time to manifest - like asbestos - so industry doesn't use it and OSHA bans it. Modelers may use sand but glass is just as cheap and is safe

Solder traditionally used an alloy rich in lead. Fumes can be a problem as can the fumes from the rosin flux which can cause occupational asthma. I have used traditional rozin fluxed solder for many years and intensively at one stage with no health issues. However, a local company repairing vehicle rads with solder had several employees with high concentrations of lead compounds in their blood and had to stop work. I continue to use leaded solder with flux and I have leaded plumbers solder for engineering use such as soldering thin brass parts to a base plate for machining. I purchase this solder from China! I do not use leaded solder for any plumbing operations.

Paint stripper is fine so long as the fumes and/or chemicals are managed safely. As with cellulose paint, thinners, acetone and other chemicals, inhaling fumes is a really bad idea.

.......and I note that we nearly all use our cutting machines without guards - since they really get in the way! I once tried to use a chuck guard on my Myford - lasted about 1 day!

Mike

DNA , what kind of gun are you using in your cabinet ?
thanks
animal

Thanks for the comments !
I need to do some sandblasting tests ( I will visit my friend a few times 😅 )
Surface , spray way, pneumatic pressure....
when test results are available..
I plan to make my own sandblaster - in a way that works best for me, of course.
Still saying old "I'm not sure", just hope it will be ok
When there is new information, I will update .

i used one working with a big shop vacuum cleaner and a bag of sand with a hose in it and a small plastic tube on it

i sand blasted very much!! and NO dust and you can re use the grit/sand few times, empty the bag and go go go..

couple the vacuum cleaner to a square box with hand holes and a sheet of thick plexiglass on it and the vacuum wi pull the sand through the tip... you would be suprised of how strong this is!!! and make a little slider to adjust the vacuum...rigging the hose is the only varaiable

i used one working with a big shop vacuum cleaner and a bag of sand with a hose in it and a small plastic tube on it

i sand blasted very much!! and NO dust and you can re use the grit/sand few times, empty the bag and go go go..

couple the vacuum cleaner to a square box with hand holes and a sheet of thick plexiglass on it and the vacuum wi pull the sand through the tip... you would be suprised of how strong this is!!! and make a little slider to adjust the vacuum...rigging the hose is the only varaiable
Hi giel !
Thank you !

If anyone has experience , or mistakes .... about sandblasting . , please discuss .
I agree
When had a shop I had cabinet sandblaster and use a shop vacuum. Work great .
Today I just welding hood and do all my sandblasting outside.

Dave

Back