Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the lesson, Bob. Now I know the first step in making a boring bar cutter. What's next?

Jerry

Captain Jerry said:
Thanks for the lesson, Bob. Now I know the first step in making a boring bar cutter. What's next?

Jerry

Bit like a visit to the dentist...............drilling and grinding. ::) Thanks for dropping by and your support. :bow:

No stuff ups today, (well only a minor one :p).

Finished the carrier plate and half made the rocker post.

The trial assembly came out OK, (after I realised I had the rocker post in the wrong side of the plate.....refer to 2 above).

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Nice to see you getting back into it Bob. Is there much to go?

Looking good, Bob.
I am glad to see you getting back into the shop on a mor regular basis.
Gail in NM

Steve and Gail,

Thanks for the support. :bow: :bow:

Steve I'm at all the fiddly bits stage and from my perspective there is still quite a lot to do. Every time I read Brian's posts of his Kerzel and his fantastic progress I go green with envy. ::)

Work got in the way again. A dunnage bin and a fork lift had a meeting. The bin came off 2nd best. :eek: Quarantine would not fumigate it until it was repaired. :'(

With that out of the way, a phone call of Honey Dos was next :mad: and so:

The feeble effort of completing the rocker carrier just made it. :-X

IMG_1720.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Guys,

Today was a day without interruptions. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;D

First up, I finished the fiddly bits of the cam and gear shaft.

IMG_1721.jpg

After a bit of thought on how to find a datum for the location of the gear shaft I came up with turning my trammel into an offset trammel. This allowed me to use the centre of the crankshaft as the datum to scribe an arc along which the cam and gear shaft must be located.

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

This was followed by a partial assembly to find the line of travel of the push rod.

IMG_1725.jpg

Where this line and the arc intersected gave me the location of the cam and gear shaft.

IMG_1726.jpg

This was drilled and tapped to match the shaft.

IMG_1727.jpg

The gears mated and aligned.

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

I can now set about bedding in the gears which prudence dictates will be next week.

Have a Great Week-end.

Best Regards
Bob

Very clever thinking, the mesh looks good.

Nice work Bob, the gears look to be meshing perfectly, doubt if they need any bedding in! :bow:

Nick

Great stuff Bob. You're making it look too easy. End results are looking great. Thanks for posting

Cheers,
Phil

Good explanation on depthing the gears, Bob. Everything is looking good!

Getting along nicely Bob ;D

And I saw another tool for my to-do list ::)

Regards, Arnold

Gavin, Nick, Phil, Dean & Arnold,

Guys thanks very much for your continuing support and encouragement. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

arnoldb said:
And I saw another tool for my to-do list ::)

The trammel was a gift from an old (92r) machinist friend of mine. It's a very good Moore and Wright one.

Best Regards
Bob

Zee,

Thanks for your continued support and encouragement. :bow:

I think I said earlier that I'm now at the fiddly bits. Well................. here is today's fiddle, the push rod forked end.

The fork marked out.

IMG_1768.jpg

Almost forked so to speak. ;)

IMG_1769.jpg

I'm sure most of you know this trick but for those who may have forgotten, this is one way of holding thin metal so it can be filed flat on its' faces. A lump of wood and some brads. The brads are hammered in and left slightly proud of the metal. The brads and metal are then filed down together to the required thickness.

IMG_1770.jpg

Mock up of the fork and push rod.

IMG_1771.jpg

Trial fit of the fork behind the cam.

IMG_1772.jpg

Another small bite from the elephant has been bitten. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Looking good Bob and thanks for the holding tip. I had not heard of that one before.

Ron

Bob:

Coming along nice. I like that "electrician's" cotter pin... used a lot them over the years. :big:

Cheers, Joe

Thm: Good going on eating the elephant Bob

Kind regards, Arnold

Ron, Joe and Arnold,

Thanks guys for supporting my weakly workday. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Dang me but this baby sure has many small parts and after hobbius Interuptus for half the morning, I only managed half of what I'd intended, (at least the time line was accurate ;D).

The cam roller housing.

IMG_1812.jpg

Note the vice marks on the face - scientifically designed to take the silver solder :-X , (I remembered the soft jaw on the other vice jaw)

IMG_1813.jpg

Ready for soldering - the undone half of today's plan. 8)

IMG_1814.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Bite of the elephant... :) You must be getting down to the tasty bits by now, Bob.
Things are looking good.

Dean,

Thanks for your continued support. :bow:

Well - this would have to rate pretty high on the frustration scale. :eek: :eek: After much messing around I finally got the three bits soldered together and in some form of reasonable alignment. :p

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

More to follow next time but with Xmas almost upon us and Galina's son arriving from Russia.........we'll see.

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back