High Pressure Oscillating Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I must have a very short attention span because when I am undertaking a longer project, I seem to frequently take time out to make something that doesn't take too much effort. For my latest quickie, I have chosen a design from 1928.

I take my hats off to model engineers of yesteryear - not only did they not have the range of machinery that we enjoy these days, but their drawings left a lot to be desired. This is the one and only drawing for the engine now being built:

Where are the dimensions? Only by reading carefully through the narrative can a few important dimensions be found. Still a lot of personal interpretation required. The authors must have assumed model engineers of the day would have loads of experience, probably because the vast majority came from some sort of engineering background.

So, to start cutting metal. When this design was current, steel was the metal of choice for structural parts, so I followed suit. The drawing suggested 1/16” plate, which seemed rather flimsy. I used 3/32” because I had two suitable pieces. After getting them squared up, the required holes were drilled in both plates. The crank bearing hole was drilled separately. Note how I angled the parallels so that the drill missed them when drilling the holes near the edge.

The frame sides are slanted, and as my hacksawing skills are none too good, I used a sawing guide consisting of a couple of pieces of HSS clamped to the frame plates.

One piece of HSS in the vice, the 2 plates (which had been super-glued together) and then the second piece. One clamp lined up the 2 guides and 2 more clamps held everything together. The mk.1 eyeball played an important part in getting things lined up.

When secure, the assembly was upended in the vice for sawing the first side.

First saw cut

When the second saw cut had been completed, the two plate sides were filed up. They were then mounted on the rotary table to machine the curved top. For flat or odd shaped jobs on the RT, I have a square plate with strategic tapped holes for clamping that takes the place of the chuck.

As an aside, I bought the swan-neck clamps some years ago, but this is one of the few times that they have ever been used. Traditional flat clamps are a lot easier to use, but I was determined to make them earn their keep here.

The completed frame plates

Next were the crank bearing and lock nut. A couple of left-over bits of brass were turned to a press fit at either end of the bearing housing and the nut was a thin slice from some hex bar.

The two frames were separated by warming them to destroy the glue bond. And then the crank bearing was tried for fit in the frame.

The engine frames are held together by tie rods threaded at each end and the model is held to the base by bolts passing through the centre of the tie rods. The tie rods were held in a collet, turned and threaded. A length stop in the mandrel ensured both parts came out to an acceptably accurate length between shoulders and thread length.

To drill the cross holes, I held the tie rods in the vice and used a small slot drill to create a flat for the drill to start and a land for the hold down screw heads. The vice length stop was used to help counteract any sideways force from the slot drill, there not being much metal within the jaws.

The tie rods

The top of the frames are bridged by the trunnion rod, which is shouldered so that it doesn't slide sideways through the frames. This is a more secure way than the original which relied upon the external fittings only to locate it. One end was threaded for the steam(air) fitting, the other end was left plain for the reversing lever.

Now time for a trial assembly

Dave
The Emerald Isle

The one item that did have dimensions was the ports to be put into the trunnion rod.

The embryo trunnion rod was put in the vice resting on parallels. The length stop was again utilised to resist any sideways force from the slot drill.

First the steam inlet and then the two exhaust ports were milled.

Next was the trunnion. This in brass, with just single slots for inlet and exhaust.

The cylinder was a piece of heavy wall brass tube. The original instructions suggested drilling the cross hole for the trunnion and then fitting the head and filling the space round the trunnion with solder. I, however elected to solder the head to the cylinder with an extension into the bore to accept the cross hole.
After the head was soldered in the cylinder, the assembly was cross drilled for the trunnion.

I managed successfully to just kiss the bottom of the head extension. A clean up of the burrs and there was the correct space for the trunnion ports to allow steam in and out of the cylinder. If I had drilled too high up the cylinder, it would have been very awkward to cut the slots for the ports.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Hi Dave - will be watching this build with interest.
Oscillating engines are usually low pressure due to leakage problems, even ones with a trunnion valving system, & I dont see on the plans that it is meant for high pressure. Have you other info for this engine ?
Good luck. you are off to a good start.
Leonard

This is stunning - well presented and interesting topic. I can use up a lot of supposedly productive time gawping at these vintage drawings.

Where did you find them?

Fascinating! And, humbling! Even given my Engineering background, it's a bit bewildering! Nice! jack

The design for this engine came out of Model Engineer. December 27th, 1928.
the title of the article is indeed 'High Pressure Oscillating Engine' by F. E. Dean.

Where the High Pressure bit come from, I know not, because as lennardme observed, oscillators are normally low pressure engines. The larger than normal ports will hopefully allow a good speed, but then, the interesting part to me is to see how Slowly it will run.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

The thing about this engine that is different from other 'normal' oscillators is that it does not rely on a spring to hold the cylinder against the port face.

John

Another trial assembly was deemed necessary to keep my interest going.

All seems OK at the moment, so the next job was to solder the trunnion into the cylinder. I didn't take a picture of it after soldering. The drawing shows a partial guide for the crank pin but I decided to lengthen the skirt and have guidance for the full rotation of the crank. Much surplus cylinder metal was cut away, just leaving sufficient on either side of the guide slot.

Reversing lever. A boss was turned up from brass and the lever was cut out from some 1/16" brass sheet.

The two holes were drilled first, then a fretsaw was used to cut the lever from the sheet. Once again, the parallels were angled so that the drill did not go into them.

The drawing shows that the reverse lever is screwed into the frame to lock the direction. I decided to just have a pin sticking out from the reversing lever going into a plain hole in the frame and rely on the natural spring of the brass to keep it in place.

The two parts were soldered together and a small hand knob was turned up and riveted to the bottom of the lever. The original drawing shows a crude round head screw into the top of the bushing to secure the lever to the trunnion rod. To make the appearance a bit neater, I used a grubscrew on the underside, but this necessitated lengthening the tapping drill.

A piece of bar a bit larger than the drill was put in the collet and after making a dimple with a centre drill, the tapping drill was used to put a 5/16" deep hole in the bar. A drop of super glue held the drill in the hole. A heat gun directed to the extension was enough to destroy the superglue bond afterwards.

The hole was drilled and tapped, a short length of brass brazing rod was Locktited into the knob and the completed reverse lever looks like this:

Not much more to do now.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

The flywheel was just a slice of bronze bar instead of the cast lead item of the original design.
The crank disc was left as a disc rather than a balanced version. If necessary, I'll cut it down later.

The air connection was the last item to be made.

Here is a pic of all the bits

The base is a piece of 1/8" steel mounted onto some Corian

Construction is now complete. Just need to adjust the reverse lever with the engine under air. This will have to wait for a couple of weeks because I'm off to England tomorrow.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I just can't stop admiring the vintage stuff. Just imaging how far "out of the box" these people were. And it seems to apply to nearly everything; automotive, photography, astronomy, engines, ....

Please keep posting about vintage engines like this and

have you run it yet?

f

A good job and just enough bling to make it a showpiece. Well done.

Jim

Don't mean to be a bother......

Pester power works .... eventually!

Herewith the videos. 2 because I don't know how to join them together.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ5UaVnq-6Y[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkh1hqYZ-Rw[/ame]

The engine could do with a larger flywheel to enable it to run more slowly.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Latest posts

Back