Hi from South Carolina, USA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal Viking

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I found your website the other day and spent much of the afternoon just looking at the tech tips. I have been away from really using a lathe since about 1982. It looks like I should have stayed with it as there is a lot to learn.

I have had a Craftsman Lathe for years (I can't think of the model right now). It has helped me out over the years with small projects here and there but nothing serious for quite a while. The high school I attended in the 70's had a shop building and in our frshman year we were shown each area every 6 weeks. We had class areas such as engine repair, mechanical drawing, printing, wood working, machine working, and electronics. I took to the metal working shop. They had a small foundry where we made our own sand molds, a welding area, and the machine shop. I had used the South Bend lathes and wanted one for my own. So after 30 years I bought one in 2008 for $800 and got a small 7" shaper a couple boxes along with the lathe. The lathe is a 9" bench model with the motor underneath. It also came with 3 and 4 jaw chuck, centers, and some tools. Enough for a good start. Before I even had a chance to set it up in the garage we moved last year. I plan to get it in set in place soon. As soon as I can get the oil cups for the head stock I hope to start using it.

Glad to be here,
Roy

Welcome Roy. wEc1 Sounds like you're off to a good start with equipment for your shop. Always liked South Carolina, spent some time in the Navy there.

Regards,
Rudy

Welcome to the forum Roy.
I hope you get set up soon and start a build. ;D

Welcome aboard Roy, from another SC swarf maker. Where are you located?

Steve

Welcome Roy,

Just up the road in NC here. Glad you found us.

Bill

Roy,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hi, Thanks for the welcome. ;D

Steve, I live in Maudlin, SC. I worked in Greenwood 20 years ago and at the time I wanted to stay I like it so much. I have not regretted the move! I think I may be in your back yard, LOL.

My first project will probably be a taper adapter. I have a home built racer car I bought as a basket case years ago and I am finally getting it back together. The engine is from a motorcycle and uses a snow mobile clutch instead of the gear box. The taper adapter is to mate the motorcycle crankshaft to the driven clutch. The original set up was damaged and is the reason the previous owner sold the car. I was going to try to use the old adapter but I cannot remove it from the old clutch without damaging it. I also noticed the inner taper was not correct as it wobbled on the crankshaft a bit. I've been working on a Saturn engine the past 4 months and it held me up from getting to the lathe. I have been thinking through the steps to make the adapter. I'll wait to post my thoughts and questions so this post doesn't get off track.

Thanks,
Roy

Roy
We're definitely backdoor neighbors. I actually grew up in Mauldin, way back when.

There are a few hobby machinists in the upstate who get together to do local farm shows. Last show, we had about 50 pieces of model engineering on display. PM me with a number to contact you and I'll give you some info on a few of the local shows that are coming up.

Steve

Latest posts

Back