Hi from California

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyHill

Reaction score
New member from So Cal here. I'm a machinist by trade, mostly programming CNCs. I started in high school back in the 80's cranking handles part-time on plastic and have been doing this ever since. It's a fun job and, like my pops always said, it pays decent and I've never wanted for work.

I've had an X2 mill for over 10 years and it still serves me well even though I don't use it much. Mostly been making parts for boats and motorcycles. A few years ago I worked for a shop that ended up closing. I bought a Lagun FTV-2S knee mill from them along with truck loads of tooling and raw material. It's three-phase and I never bothered to get it hooked up until a couple months ago. There are some issues but it works. More on that in another thread.

I joined this forum because I wanted to start being more active in the "shop" (my garage) now that my kids are old enough to start taking an interest. I figured I'd get their attention if I built a small, simple treadle motor to show them what you can do so I checked out some plans for a finger motor here a couple weeks ago and the rest is history. I'll put up a post on the build later but for now I just wanted to jump in, get my feet wet and say hello.

"Hello!"

Welcome Billyhill. Sounds like you've got a great background for this hobby.

My guiding principle here has been, if I see something I want, and I want it bad enough, then I'll figure out how to make it.

Cheers,
Phil

Excellent advice Phil. One thing I've been wanting for a while is a small lathe. Don't think I'll be making one any time soon but I have managed to talk the missus into signing off on getting one. I hit her up while we were going over the new bumper she got for her jeep and she almost couldn't say no.;)

Now I just have to decide what to buy. Been looking at both new Chinese bench lathes and used USA built lathes. (Not meaning to start a flame war with that, but it's a valid conflict.)

Been looking at both new Chinese bench lathes and used USA built lathes. (Not meaning to start a flame war with that, but it's a valid conflict.)

The decision to go import versus used USA built has been discussed at length here and elsewhere. The fact is, without the availability of imports I and many others would never have been exposed to this hobby. Now that I am and have had the means and opportunity to acquire a nice circa 1947 Logan 10" lathe I can understand both sides of the discussion.

You're the best one to decide which way to go. Ultimately the machines that remove chips to meet your goals in producing a finished product are what you need. Have fun

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks for the welcome and invite Mike. Looks like you meet the first Sat of the month. If I'm in the neighborhood on one of those days I will absolutely stop by.

Thanks for the welcome and invite Mike. Looks like you meet the first Sat of the month. If I'm in the neighborhood on one of those days I will absolutely stop by.

Yes, 1st Sat of the month 2-5pm. I think we are having our annual picnic in June, so not sure if 1st Sat applies there. I'm hoping to make it this Sat, but will have to check my schedule for sure.

Great buncha guys (and a lady or 2!). Tons of machining knowledge covering lots of areas of machining. Well worth a visit !

Mike

Back