Hi from Australia

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi ... i live in australia nsw. i am a certified mechanic for toyota and like to just browse at ideas and stuff . i am good with cars and like to tune them up for performance dyno runs . but seeing as i fix cars everyday i was wondering how hard is it to make a engine by scratch so im here to look at designs and stuff and try build one my self

Welcome!! You've come to the engine building nuthouse. While I am
pretty new at making engines, I've been machining for decades. The folks
here are a diamond mine of information and experience.

Pete

Welcome, how hard is it to make an engine from scratch? Depends on your machining experience and machines available, and also on what type of engines you wish to make. You will pick up plenty of hints on this forum.

Paul.

Welcome from faraway Singapore.
Some very basic machining skill/experience required with lathe,mill and the humble drill press. Mini lathe,mini mill,drill press and a workbench for filling and fitting required.Starting with very basic air operated oscillating engine will be good. Basic Machining skills will do. Pin point centre punching and drilling skills can be easily picked up. No worries. We all here to help.

And a big welcome from South Australia wEc1

Hello from Blacktown, in Western Sydney.

Barry

Another welcome from western sydney.
You have a head start on some being a mechanic as you already understand the operating principles and i always recommend one start at the shallow end of the pool maybe a nice simple two stroke , overhung crank and use the carby from a model car engine ( nitro engine) or if the engine is larger the carby from a brushcutter.
Two authors af books on model engines i would recommend are L.C.Mason and Malcolm stride (aka nemmett) there are others but a feel these to be the best as they go into design and layout a bit more than others.

Ian

A big hello from another Aussie, welcome to the group.

Back