Hey there!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrpfeiff

Reaction score
Hello from Eastern Pennsylvania. My name is Jim, and I am new not only to this forum, but also to machining, etc. Aside from truing up brake rotors in my former life as an auto tech, I have done nothing with lathes and mills. So, I will be doing a lot of reading here to find out just what the heck it is I am getting myself into!

What brought me here was firebird's boiler build (thank you, firebird for the stellar documentation of that build). I was contemplating building a small boiler of my own and a google search led me here.

My interest lies in steam; I have been a steam locomotive engineer (part time) for about 17 years. Unfortunately, I have not been very involved in the heavy maintenance/fabrication that the locomotive requires. We have a shop crew that takes care of that. I just run 'em. But, I do understand the theory, have thirst for more knowledge and want to build stuff of my own.

Over the Christmas break I was bored and looking for something manly to build... preferably something that would run on steam. My local hobby shop had nothing of interest. So I turned to the internet. I was beginning to lean toward something small to start - one of the Wilesco traction engines or possibly a powerplant of some sort, but am now thinking that I can (and want to) build something from scratch. The stuff some of you are turning out is quite impressive and inspiring!

So, here I am - hoping to be able to build something someday soon!

Thanks for the inspiration. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you all!

--Jim

Welcome aboard Jim....(no pun intended.. :D )

There's plenty to read about...no need to be bored this holiday season... :p

Welcome, Jim. You'll enjoy your time here.

Where in eastern PA? I grew up in Allentown. I can still mimic a Pennsylvania Dutch accent fairly well. :)

Thanks for the welcomes!

mklotz said:
Where in eastern PA? I grew up in Allentown. I can still mimic a Pennsylvania Dutch accent fairly well. :)

Ja! Emmaus, just outside Allentown. Plenty of Dutchies still in my neighborhood! <He says with the accent!>

Welcome to the forum Jim.
As you read you'll see we like pics. Be ready!

Jim,
Welcome to the Forum.
Since you are in PA, and not all that far from York, you should think about/plan to attend the Cabin Fever Model expo coming up in a couple of weeks.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=7418.0

You will see more cool things then you ever knew existed, and come away from the show with a massive dose of inspiration. Plus, you can possibly meet a bunch of the great people on this board.

Jim,
Welcome to HMEM. wEc1
Hope you enjoy your stay. We try very hard to have a good time here.
Gail in NM

Jim :
welcome to the board .http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/ in York PA. is coming up in just a couple of weeks a few of us from here plan to be there.
Where are you a steam loco engineer ?

If you are looking for a stationary set up give the http://www.jensensteamengines.com/ a good look these are made in PA usa and have been continuously since 1932.
Or we can come up with a few plan suggestions.
Tin

Jim,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks everyone! Good to be here - I think you all are about the friendliest bunch in the Net!

Thanks for the heads up re: Cabin Fever Expo. You KNOW I'll be there. Looks like a great time (and probably expensive too)!

Zee: Once I get to starting on something I'll be sure to take plenty of pics. I can see from my nosing around that they are invaluable resources in and of themselves!

Tin: I will surely check out the Jensen site. Since I have nary a machining tool as of yet, I still may go with some sort of kit, just so I can get my hands dirty a bit more quickly. Oh, and I am a steam loco engineer at the New Hope & Ivyland. Our pretty little 1925 Baldwin is a strong runner, although she is now down for winter maintenance - should be back out in early spring. I'm also employed part time by SMS Rail Lines in south Jersey. They're a switching/freight road at a couple industrial parks down there.

Now I'm excited for the weekend of the 15th!

--Jim

At this point I can only give you pics of my inspiration...

Taken this summer - Me & #40:

068.JPG

069.JPG

Latest posts

Back