Hey all from Cape Girardeau, near St Louis

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macart52

Reaction score
Doug here and been looking around. I'm impressed!! Originally I'm from upstate NY. Back then when I was around 12 yrs old, I saw a plan from an old PM magazine, on how to build a steam engine and that's what got me started. I never completed it, as I needed a lathe. However I did try to use a rod and a piece of pipe and even if I had a lathe, I would've never understood how to use it. But I think back and according to McCabe, I was on the right track.
Moving along up to around 2002, I built my first steam engine and it did run. It was a crude engine and something broke, so I hung it up on the garage wall and it's still there. I left it up there and never returned. Then I started a new project, as I found McCabe's site. I had a good jump on the Old Design, but that to was abandoned because of to much work here on our little 12 acre farm. So now that I'm retired and kicking back, I want to get back into it. I have a 2 stall garage and an old chicken coupe, in which I gave the chickens the boot, a few yrs. back and built a wood shop, chainsaw shop and now it's going to be a steam engine studio/shop. What really facinates me is, a rusty pile of junk, can be turned into a live motion running machine. Thanks for letting me in.

Doug

Welcome to the forum Doug. wEc1 As you've seen, lots of interest in steam and lots of fine steam builds here, and it's a great place to share information, ask questions, and show off your projects. And congratulations on your retirement. What kind of equipment will you be putting in that steam engine studio/shop?

Regards,
Rudy

Welcome to the group Doug...

I live about two hours north of you just of I55 in Illinois. Did the same as you a few years back.... Retired, built a shop and started making model engines to keep the "cobwebs" out of my mind.

Lots of talent here and lots of advice.... But I have to warn you now, we are addicted to pictures so make sure and take a bunch of em....

Best Regards,

Harold

Rush's home town. Could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on which side of the fence you're on.

Doug,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Well now, that was a sure fire fine greeting. So I think i'll stay for a spell. Forgot to mention, I do have a Tag lathe, with a milling head attached, but never used that part yet. So that's one item that will go in the shop. also I'm thinking I'll throw in my floor model drill press. It does have a 5/8 chuck. I'm thinkin maybe that will be too big. I might buy a bench model from fleabay, not sure yet. If I need any welding done, I have 2, ac/dc welders, along with torches, and 2 compressors. 1 in the garage, the other one is in the lil shop. Guess I'm pretty much equipped. When I get a chance, I'll throw in some pics for y'all.
Don't worry bout pics, as we do have a digital and cell phone cameras, plus 4 computers in the house LOL
Funny about the Rush question. I can sum that up real quick.......Heard of him , but never heard him and wouldn't know him if I tripped over him. 10-4 over and out on that 1. he he. I know what ya mean Harold. This will prevent my mind from going to mush also.
Well, thanx a lot for the right fine comeback fellers. Just an old farm boy here that loves engines :bow:

Back