Henry ford valve

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiev

Reaction score
Hi all. Just going through the Henry Ford first engine plans and wondering if any of our Aussie members know where to get a 3/4" stop/waste valve ?
Tia
Herbie

I looked and looked and couldn't find any for my engine so I am using 1/2 taps for the bodies they look almost the same. cam

Keep me posted on how you go. I might have to do the same. I could probably order from the U.S. but the $4500 postage could be a problem.

Last edited:
Keep me posted on how you go. I might have to do the same. I could probably order from the U.S. but the $4500 postage could be a problem.

Yeah, but that'd be registered post wouldn't it Herb? ;-)

cheers, Ian

Herbie,

I just built my second Ford engine using a 3/4" Globe Valve instead of a Stop & Waste valve. The valve stem inside a globe valve is already seated into the body by the manufacturer which makes everything so much easier. It also looks exactly the same on the outside.

I made a detail drawing of this new valve design if you are interested...

Ian. Registered post is $6000 ;)
Ray and Chris. The 3/4 globe valve sounds good to me and would be most interested in the detailed drawings.
Many thanks
Herbie

I simply ordered a pair of involute gear cutters from Travers. $63 with shipping and will make the gears as needed.

I picked up the stop & waste valve at a local plumbing supply shop, $18, but would like to see more info on the globe valve substitution.

hi guys this is my engine so far. I am working on the crank end at the moment I also have a smaller oiler to put on it. cam

IMG_0117 (2000 x 1500).jpg

Here is my detail drawing of the new exhaust valve design for the Henry Ford engine...it really was easy to modify and works great.

I did not have to lap or re-seat anything.

Hi Folks: A fellow modeler told me to take apart an old lawn mower and I would find two gears inside. The number of teeth are not too important but the ratio is. They should be 2 to 1. You may have to do a little modifying but we do that anyway. Mine worked out great. Good luck with your engines. Jack

Looking good Cam. Well on the way.
Thanks for the drawings Chris. I thought I had a couple of those but they turned out to be gate valves :(

Chris your globe valves look the same as my taps but the taps I am useing have rubber seats so I will be making the valve I will post a photo when I get one done. Cam

Latest posts

Back