Help in finding lathe parts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just fell heir to a 6300 Clausing lathe. I has been siting under a cover for 50 years. So dry I oiled it left sit 12hr. oiled it again. The oil in the head stock looked new . so I just turned by hand for about 10 min. then started it, as smooth as velvet. Let run for 15 min. could not wait, just had too try the variable drive and. is very smooth, I can't believe a 71 year old American iron soo smooth. I have a question . the quick has plexiglas with all thread feeds engraved and high lighted with black & yellow. But the oil attaccks black & yellow. Clausing parts was very nice thay suggested that Iput out a bolo out for info for replacement.Thank you Best Regards Red. [email protected]

Did the oil attack the plastic, or just the color? Are the numbers/letters just on the surface or are they engraved in the plastic? If they are engraved you could clean the plastic and repaint the lettering. As old as the machine is you will probably have to restore rather than replace. To rplace you will meed to reproduce the chart on paper and find someone with a CNC and have them engrave a new chart.

I looked at the manual for the 6300, that is a nice lathe if the Plexiglas chart is the only thing Wrong, you are a lucky man..

Did the oil attack the plastic, or just the color? Are the numbers/letters just on the surface or are they engraved in the plastic? If they are engraved you could clean the plastic and repaint the lettering. As old as the machine is you will probably have to restore rather than replace. To rplace you will meed to reproduce the chart on paper and find someone with a CNC and have them engrave a new chart.
As for me, I think that is the best lathe ever built. Very good quality.

I don't know that lathe, but from your description of the plexiglass part, I wonder if you could make a substitute from plain plexiglass and attach a legend you make yourself.

From similar adventures in making: design on your computer and print on acetate. The acetate sheets were available for printing on inkjet and laser printers. You could make more than one acetate in order to refresh your dial from time to time. My apologies if acetate is no longer available.

--ShopShoe

plexi is a great fix. A good Clear Photo And I will Layout the design. cut the design on the back. ballistic material. Engraves on the reverse. Edge lit with LED. Just like the aircraft Status board in my Bomber Flightline Truck. A place to put Dial readings and a grease pencil would be great on a fine. Old Classic!
cheers! Twombo

Back