Help identifying table engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Steve

Reaction score
I know you guys love a challenge, and I have just acquired a model engine, which I think is called a table engine and would be delighted if anyone can recognise the type, design, or any other details. It is rather unusual in having a round steam chest (I haven't had the cover off yet). The photos still show it as received, complete with fluff. Apart from a little slack in the top bearings it seems in mechanically fine. I think it will look nice after a refurb.

WhatsIt2.jpg

WhatsIt1.jpg

Can we have a couple of sizes to go on eg flywheel dia and height

Jason

The flywheel is 4.5", the gap between the bottom plate and 'table' is 6", stroke is about 1.25". I don't know what scale it is of course, so can't turn those into full size dimensions. I suppose 1:12 would be a typical scale, so just swap inches to feet.

Steve

Steve,

It looks like Rudy Kouhoupt's overcrank engine. The plans are in the first volume of The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt from Village Press. There are several other nice engines in the book as well.

Peter

What Peter said. Definitely a Rudy Kouhoupt engine.
Looks like the builder followed the plans pretty closely.

Dean

Brilliant, thanks guys. Even armed with that knowledge I can't find a picture of the engine on the web, and I can't find a copy of the book for sale at a sensible price in the UK - but at least I know what I am looking for.

The parallel linkage works sweetly. I don't know if Rudy designed it himself, but the critical length for the linkages to make it work is beyond me.

If anyone can find an image of one then would be keen to see. I was thinking it would benefit from 'proper' split bearings for the shaft, as these have a little play and are not adjustable as they are.

Steve

Steve, the book runs about $40 + shipping here in the USA. If it's anywhere near that in your neck of the woods, that's just what it costs.
I have the book, and it's well worth the price. Has prints and articles on other engines too, (including the one in my avatar), along with a number of shop kinks.

The construction series ran in Live Steam, Aug 1985-Feb 1986, if that would help. Finding all seven issues would probably cost way more than the first Shop Wisdom book, though.

Good luck with it.

Dean

Have just found Camden Miniature Steam Services are doing what I assume is volume 1 reprinted for £35 new (they don't say it is volume 1, but they separately list Vols 2,3,4). Amazon prices I was looking at before were £62 and £91 secondhand (about $100 - $140). They don't list new copies of Vol 1, but there is a Vol 3 for £159 (say $220). Which is why I was a bit surprised at the price.

Must be a good book !

Steve

I doubt it's a reprint, Steve. I think it's always been in print.
The first book, The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt, doesn't have a vol #. Just the books that followed it. Get the one that has no vol # and that is it.

I wouldn't trust Amazon prices as an indicator. You often see the same book there at wildly different prices. I recently bought one of Ivan Law's shop books there. Mine cost $12 new, and there were others there, same exact book, priced at over $100. People on Amazon are somewhat insane.

I think Tee Publishing may have these for folks across the water. I know they have many of the other Shop Wisdom series at around £32.

Dean

Latest posts

Back