Help dismantling gearbox

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterDRG

Reaction score
Hi
Ive been given a French gearbox, with the intention of recovering the aly from the casing for recasting. I thought that removing the gears with my bearing pullers would be quite simple, but I cannot get them to move at all. Has anyone else done this who could advise on dismantling ?

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_124904.png
    IMG_20231010_124904.png
    823.6 KB · Views: 31
I have no idea what it's from but it's a sequential type. All the motorcycles I have worked on are very similar. The gear shafts in a mc gear box are just a close slip fit into the bearings. Maybe there is a snap ring or C clip that has to be removed?

Hi
Ive been given a French gearbox, with the intention of recovering the aly from the casing for recasting. I thought that removing the gears with my bearing pullers would be quite simple, but I cannot get them to move at all. Has anyone else done this who could advise on dismantling ?
A big hammer with big tube of JB Weld for reassemble.

It takes time to find all the keepers and pins.

The worst transmission I took apart was B&O lathe.
A casting had to remove at same time the shaft was removed. No jb was used.

Dave

Dave

Try heating the case with a small torch. If there is not a keeper or snap ring, that should set it free.

There appears to be some corrosion within the gear train so try soaking the shafts/bearings/gears with release oil overnight.

Seems a French car gearbox to me (Peugeot/Citroen). I had a Citroen and its gearbox looked very similar to this one , the gear upper left is the diff gear. You should remove the gear selector rods first. It seems to me that the solution for the dissasembly lies in the opposite side of the gearbox by removing the diff cover ( if you have not done this already).

I had a service manual but it stayed with the car when I sold it. (Citroen BX 1,4)

Jos

Hi
A large metal chisel + a 3# hammer should be able to damage the outside of the casting (working toward the shaft placement area).
A plasma cutter could also be useful.

(You are, after all, only wanting to metal from the casing - - - yes?
Although the shafts might be useable material for other projects - - - they would be some decent steels!)

Pity. It would be nice to keep the gears. They might be useful some time.

Pity. It would be nice to keep the gears. They might be useful some time.

Hmmmmmm - - - if you want to keep the gears you just machine the gears off of the shafts.
(Cut shaft beside one gear - - - drill to where there is less than 0.050" (just of 1.0mm) of shaft wall remaining.
Gear will be very easy to remove from shaft at this point ( a little tapping with a persuader!).
It is far easier to find good shafting materials that gears - - - grin! You get to keep whatever parts you want!)

So far as I am aware. It will have been off a reasonably current French car for it to have been replaced.

Latest posts

Back