Hello from Turin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debian

Reaction score
Hi would like just to join with the first twangman post "HELLO FROM DUBLIN", it's a long time I wanted to say something like that to all of You, but my terrific english for sure doesn't ease to write such a fluent and well writed one. Btw I also want to say thanks to everyone round here, it's since about 3 month this is the first site I open every time I start my pc, I'm just waiting to buy my lathe and mill (problably both OPTIMUM, german made, (BF20 mill and D 240x500 lathe), right now I've just an Unimat SL-1000, not so usable alone.
I dream my first project would be the odd's and ends hit 'n miss, since I read Harold Lee and Lugnut post I have immediately ordered 3 books on Amazon, arrived last week, included "the shop wisdom of philip duclos".
I love to work with steel, even if I usualy project and build structures a little bigger than model engines, I would like to relax with lighter things in the evening and in the weekend at home, in my garage.
Maybe in the next months I'll have to ask You so many things.... so stay tuned!!! my first dilemma, i.e., is: should I try to build the odd's and ends in imperial or reproject it in metric? should I buy all the measuring gages I need in inch or in mm ? will see.... for sure this is not the bigger problem, i work with numbers and conversion every day.
I know is always good to include in the posts some pictures of our project so, because I still haven't machined any model yet... for now I can let You see my last project, filmed by me this morning.

[ame]http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=yU9PbBMRyJg[/ame]

all the best and, really, thanks again to all of You, this model engine world is marvellous! (and in Italy it seems doesn't exist this hobby!!!)

paolo

Welcome Paolo,
Not to worry...your English is infinitely better than my non existent Italian!!!

Regards,

Bill

The english or metric dilema may or may not be a big issue. Most digital measuring tools can be switched between the two is most cases. My (DRO) digital readout on my mill has a button to go between the two as well. You may just want to go the digital route and get tools that do both.

You can also always do the conversion to one or the other and just keep a close eye on the measurements that are critical. There are quite a few measurements on any model that could be considered non-critical. If it off by a millimeter or two it won't matter. Bearing, mating, and cylinder to piston are critical but you can adjust those.

By the way welcome to the board! ;)

Welcome to HMEM paolo

Your English is perfect!
If you want to see the English language destroyed talk to an American! ;)

Rick

Welcome Paolo!

Italy is great country... It has produced the worlds greatest MotoGP rider, Valentino Rossi!

As said, most digital calipers switch swap back and forth from imperial to metric.

Eric

Hi Paolo,

Welcome!

Notwithstanding the previous replies regarding imperial or metric, which if you can convert you have no problem, the deciding factor could be which code of tooling or fasteners are easiest to obtain in Italy.

I'd guess that metric taps and dies would be easiest to obtain in mainland europe. Happy to be proved wrong!

Al

Paolo, welcome aboard!

Feel free to ask as many questions as you have!

W/E

Hi Paolo
..unfortunately you have right!!!!
But here we can find a nice friends and we can improve our capacity!!!
Another IEM
Paolo

Latest posts

Back