Hello from the UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howi

Reaction score
Been lurking here for a while now, soaking up as much info as I can.
Thanks to everyone in that respect... ;D
I am an absolute beginner, but always had an interest in mechanical/electrical devices and gadgets.
I am nearing retirement, so have decided to indulge myself for once, especially as my wife INSISTED I get a man shed (workshop) probably more to do with getting me out from under her feet, she has been retired a while now (much younger than me though!!!) so has had time to adjust.
My other interests are archery(compound bow style) and photography, but all the enphasis is on model engineering at the mo' as you will understand.
I only have room for a small workshop, this IS the Uk after all....., and have made a start equiping with tools etc.
I have a 8 x 14 lathe, bench grinder, lots of hand tools etc, a pillar drill being next on the 'must have' list.

So! there you are, thats me.....

Welcome to the forum Howi. So....after looking around here a bit...what sort of projects strike your fancy? NO doubt the photography hobby will be very useful here as well since we love pictures. Also best wishes on the upcoming retirement :)

Bill

Thanks Bill - I have decided to start simple and have built the EZ Engine (for beginners), from this very forum.
i would like to say 'Thanks' to anyone involved in its creation, it really has got me off to a flying start.
I would not say my version has been built with the sort of precision I would like, but it does run.
It will (almost!) run on breath power, but then I'm putting that down to age!!!!
It has been a super starting project and has taught me a lot, I have enjoyed every minute.
I have of course made mistakes, but managed to adjust things to suit, I have also used a mix of metric and imperial measurements to suit what I had at hand, so the cylinder was drilled and reamed to 1/2" but the valve was done to 6mm etc.
I am not ready for a castings kit yet, I have some more tooling and materials to source first.
It really is taking me back to my youth, I lived for Wednesday afternoons as this was metalworking class at school, but my subsequent career led me down a different path.......
But, here I am at last, and having found this forum, the world is wide open....

Thanks guy's

Good for you Howi, and welcome, I'm sure being on here will make your retirement all the more enjoyable!
Stew.

Welcome Howi!

The water's fine, jump right in!

Dave

Welcome Howi - now you've found us you might never come out of the shed again!

Howi,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Howi.

What area of the UK are you from?

The reason I ask is that there are a lot of UK members on here, and there may be someone within easy reach that can maybe be your mentor and help you out when times get tough on your machining journey. Or do as I and a few others do from my area, borrow a bit of special tooling from each other, to save having to buy everything.

John

Hi John - I am from Sheffield (South Yorkshire)

Latest posts

Back