Hello from Sydney

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pp2076

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'd thought I'd say hello.
I had seen metalworking lathes while working during the summer breaks, but had no idea how to operate one. While I had heard of a milling machine, I wouldn't have known one from a pillar drill until I discovered Keith Appleton. From there, I wondered into Doubleboost, Old Tony, Keith Fenner, Keith Rucker (are all engineers called Keith?) and Clickspring.
Now, thanks to Youtube, I'm at the stage where I believe I could confidently cut a left or right handed thread, metric or imperial, or use a milling machine with ease. I browse sites such as Hare & Forbes and lust after the machines there.
Unfortunately my dreams will just have to remain that, as due to ill health ( I have Motor Neurone Disease) my movement and strength are severely limited.
I have enjoyed reading some of the longer posts in this forum, especially Setting up Shop Questions - from an NZ learner http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=25880 , seeing his progress from total beginner to accomplished engineer.
The ingenuity and craftsmanship of the members of this site is awe-inspiring.
Keep up the good work
Derek

Hi Derek,
Welcome to the forum .
You have been watching some good channels there may i suggest a few more , mr crispin ,mr pete 222 , stefan gotteswinter , emmas spare room machine shop , bruce whitham ,myfordboy ,that lazy machinist .
That lazy machinist is a really good channel for learning as the host Marc is a retired teacher , tool and instrument maker , he knows how to explain things so everyone understands what he is talking about and this is one of my favourite channels .
You may be able to use cnc equipment if your MND stops you using a manual machine ,there is also a whole world of 3D printing you can play with that seems to be a rapidly growing hobby that gets more accessible and cheaper as it develops .

Ian .

Hi Derek,
Welcome to the forum .
You have been watching some good channels there may i suggest a few more , mr crispin ,mr pete 222 , stefan gotteswinter , emmas spare room machine shop , bruce whitham ,myfordboy ,that lazy machinist .
That lazy machinist is a really good channel for learning as the host Marc is a retired teacher , tool and instrument maker , he knows how to explain things so everyone understands what he is talking about and this is one of my favourite channels .
You may be able to use cnc equipment if your MND stops you using a manual machine ,there is also a whole world of 3D printing you can play with that seems to be a rapidly growing hobby that gets more accessible and cheaper as it develops .

Ian .
Thanks Ian.
I do view mr crispin ,mr pete 222 , stefan gotteswinter and myfordboy ,amongst others. Crispin Cousins is an incredibly talented young man. My tolerance level of Tubalcain is quite limited, especially when he gets on his racist horse, or drones on interminably. Stephan is a little too OCD for me.
I've stumbled upon your other suggestions too. I particularly liked the one by That lazy machinist regarding tempering, but I guess that's the scientist in me coming out.

Hi Derek and welcome to the forum. I too lust after the Hare and Forbes Machinery but live in the only city where they don't have a shop Adelaide. :mad:

No H&F in south oz ? Never knew that !
So you either have a long drive or a hefty freight charge from Melbourne if you want a new machine - that sux !

Latest posts

Back