Hello from Somerset UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulge

Reaction score
I am a novice at model engineering. I am interested in scratch building a steam powered model boat. To date I have made a simple wobbler plus pot boiler (to see if I could) and now have finished a twin cylinder double acting slide valve engine à la Malcolm Beak. It runs well on a few pounds of compressed air. Last week I built the displacement lubricator. Next is a steam regulator and then a vertical boiler that is currently at the early design stage – needs more research!! And then …….

slide valve.jpg

Hi there

I'm from next door (by internet standards anyway) Dursley, Glos

We appear to have kindred interests, as well as geography,

I will dig out some pics of my dad's model boats.

Sadly due to ill health he is no longer able to pursue his hobby (Fanatical passion)

He has handed the reins to me and it is great to find a fellow enthusiast in my locality

Among many others we have a 3 foot long steam powered Clyde Paddle Tug, fully seaworthy and functional although we would need a big swimming pool or something to steam her.

She is too detailed and delicate to run on a river or canal, despite having a real plated steel hull (no glassfibre here)

We also have a steam turbine powered freelance gunboat which is somewhat more sturdy

She can be fitted with R.C. and has mesmerised many passers by and a policeman (long story) by coming hissing and whistling down a local canal with a flotilla of curious ducks astern

your little engine is smashing please PM me perhaps we can meet up and swap some hints

Regards Mark

Back