Hello from Norfolk, UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello engine builders. I have worked as an engineer for almost 40 years and built various model steam engines model aircraft, fullsize motorcycles and assorted 'gadgets' in my own workshop for most of that time.
My current project is a freelance 7 cylinder radial engine. At 2.3 litres capacity, it may not be considered a model, but I could make a reasoned argument that it is as much a model as a 4" scale traction engine.
The build has been going on for some 6 years now and is documented on the radial and rotary engines group (RandRengines) on groups.io.
While the project is somewhat larger than most model engines, all parts have been manufactured using a Drummond round bed lathe and a Sieg X3 mill. Part of the joy of freelance design is that I can adapt each component to the manufacturing resources available (and of course, to my own skill limits).
The engine is now in the final stages of build, requiring only ignition system and details of the lubrication system before first startup.
I have come across this forum while searching for information on making distributor caps. I hope my experiences may be of use to other members and I may be able to find some tips to help me.

Hi I have just found this message whilst looking for different distributor designs for my 30cc in-line four angine that I have been building and have read that you are in Norfolk. I am in Suffolk so nice to see someone on here that is relatively local! How are you getting along with your engine? I would love to see it.
Here is a link to my YouTube channel that has a few videos of my engines and the latest video of my inline four engine whilst setting up the valve timing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYRLTPuK8ZnJlIuk5jt7EZg
Thanks, Sam.

Hi Sam,
My engine continues to progress. The oil system is now complete. I have created more work for myself by making a set of 7 exhaust bypass valves, to allow starting on open stubs, then diverting exaust into a collector ring when the smoke clears. The intention is that this engine will be used in a road vehicle, so it will need silencing and probably catalytic converters.
I have not yet cast my distributor cap - waiting for warmer days (needs to be above 15C in the workshop).
I know of another person currently building a radial engine in Suffolk. When the restrictions are lifted, we shall have to arrange some workshop visits.
I am located near Attleborough. Where are you?

Hi, your engine sounds like it’s going to be something very special. What sort of vehicle are you planning to put it in? I believe I might also know this other person in Suffolk. I have not yet met him but one of my good friends have promised to take me over to meet him. Some workshop visits would be a great idea! I am in Felixstowe by the way.

Hi Sam,
Coincidence indeed of you know of Gilbert!
If my engine is viable, i.e. makes more horsepower than shrapnel when it goes on the Dyno and doesn't smoke too much, then I have a design for a Morgan style three wheeler, with the engine exposed at the front.
Pete.

Pete
Your engine on the front of a Morgan style 3 wheeler will be a real show stopper, great idea.

xpylonracer

Latest posts

Back