Hello from Nova Scotia!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartwood

Reaction score
Hi All!

A few years ago, I bought a lathe (9x18, Busy Bee) to do a specific job with an eye toward trying my hand someday at making a model steam engine. As a kid, I read Nevil Shute's Trustee from the Toolroom and never forgot the descriptions of the tiny model machines.

The other day, I took delivery of a set of castings for a Stuart 10V. I also have a current copy of the book by Andrew Smith, "Building a Vertical Steam Engine". I've taken some first steps but I'm quickly learning I have a lot to learn about basic machine shop practice and the limitations and capabilites of my machine.

I'm looking forward to browsing the forums and learning.

Kevin

Hello Kevin;

You'll like this group, good people, great help. I'm new too and find myself checking in every day. Wish I had your BusyBee 9x18!!

Garry
(originally from New Glasgow NS ;D)

Hi Kevin and welcome.

I just started machining less than 5 months ago. And I do mean 'started'. I'd never used a lathe or mill before. This forum is the greatest and the members are wonderful teachers.

I'm hoping you'll start a thread about your build. I know many others will be very interested in your journey.

Be prepared to get many requests for pics. These people are insatiable.

Kevin,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

wEc1 from another Aussie.

Best wishes,
Ian (seagar).

Coffs Harbour,
Australia.

Welcome to the board cart. Don't forget to post pics of your build and now that I am thinking about how about posting some pics of your shop in the shop pics area.

Have fun.

Welcome Kartwood:
Looking forward to the build.
A simple oscillator from bar stock would sharpen your skills a bit before tackling the casting set. I have a 10H here waiting to be brought to life.
Tin

Welcome to HMEM Kevin.

Rick

Welcome to the group Kevin.
I built a 10V about 30 years ago using a lathe and drill press. If I recall correctly the legs and crosshead guide casting is a little hard to hold for machining but Smith's book and the help available on HMEM should pull you through, just ask if you need.
And take pics!
Dave

Thanks to eveyone for the warm welcome!
I have to say that I wish I hade found this forum before I decided to forge ::) ahead with the 10V kit. I think it will be okay as long I take my time.

Is there a particular sub-forum where questions/pictures about this project would be appropriate?

Thanks again and hi to all the other Ham Radio folks on here. (I'm VE1TV)

Hi Kevin and welcome. There is a Questions & Answers section under the heading "Building Them" and a Photos and Videos section under "Showing Them." Those would be good places to start.

Bill

kartwood,

Welcome to HMEM. The people here will help youl learn a lot in a short amount of time and your engine will be running before you know it.

WELCOME Kevin we do like pics so build away and shows us the progress. wEc1

Latest posts

Back