Hello from NC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwone

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Dean and I use to have the website Dean’s 7x10 mini lathe page that was removed by AOL last year. I have a 7x10 mini lathe, 9x36 South bend, Hobart Welder and a mini mill. I have built a few engines but my first engine and biggest project so far was the Radial Five from The Home Shop Machinist. I am thinking about building an Upshure engine and in doing my research I ran across this site. My other interest are motorcycling, bicycling and guns.

It looks like you guys like pics, so here are some random ones.

DSC00055Small.jpg

Pict0070Small.jpg

newengine009Small.jpg

sandblast024Small.jpg

sandblast032Small.jpg

DSC00338Small.jpg

steadyrest021Small.jpg

Here is a video of the engine
"http://www.youtube.com/v/UC1_RxI1b9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"

I look forward to sharing ideas with all of you, Dean

Welcome Dean! Thanks for sharing your pics! Awesome looking engine and machines!

Hi Dean, and welcome! Some very impressive work there. Just one slightly pedantic comment, however, the curved spoke flywheel on the little horizontal is facing the wrong way! Well, assuming the the engine is going to run in the 'over' or 'outboard' direction it is.

Love those radial engines, and your's is very nicely done. I'm in North Carolina too, about 30 miles North of Greensboro. What parts are you located?

Welcome Dean,

NC here as well just west of Charlotte. Thanks for sharing the pics and welcome to the forum.

Bill

Welcome to the forum! ;D

Nice bunch of pictures. I think that's the first shot I've seen of a minimill doing work with the column tilted.

Just a few minutes north of NC here. ;D

Welcome Dean. Hope you enjoy this forum. Great bunch of people and information, Is that 3rd picture of a PM Research 3A? I am in the process of building the 3BA. Again, welcome. ironman

Dean,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hello back fellow North Carolinian.

You will find more help then you can imagine and some of the nicest people around to give it.

Thanks for the warm welcome and comments!

I live in Charlotte near Lake Wylie and that is a PM #3 engine. That little engine has been an on going project for a long time, whenever I run out things to do that is my back up project.

Thanks for the heads up on the wheel direction, I will flip it when I reassemble it.

As for the mini mill being tilted, it is unusual to see it used that way. It really comes down to me being cheap. I am too cheap to buy a sine vice when I need to make a cut for a v-way or something similar. Most of the mini mills I have seen are not mounted down, so they can’t be tilted. It really would be best if I would get sine vice, tramming a mini mill is not the funniest thing I have ever done.

Thanks again, Dean

Welcome to the board! Always nice to see new faces and pictures of some really nice engines!

Thanks for the heads up on the wheel direction, I will flip it when I reassemble it.

No worries Dean, it's a mistake a lot of people make. The reason the leading end of the spoke faces into the rotation is that, with flywheels and driving wheels that puts the spoke under compression and renders it less likely to burst in the event of a run away. In similar vein, a driven curved spoke wheel faces the other way. A small point, perhaps, but one I like to see preserved on models as retaining some of the old arts and lore are a large part of what we, or many of us, are about.

Latest posts

Back