Hello from Minnesota

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Stuart. As you may have noticed we have a multi national culture going here. There is a lot of US / Brit bashing all in fun of course. So you need to pick a side!!! ;D Bog I do have to say that what you guys lack in engineering you make up in .... uh ...? Well you guys were importing before us right?
Tim Ducking for cover now.
:big: :big: :big:
Tim

I love it! This forum is so much fun!

I can well believe that there is some good back and forth bashing.

Brits lack in Engineering?

Hmmm.

Telford,

Trevithick,

Brunell,

Watt,

Stevenson,

Telford *,

Well, anway. If I list them all I won't even get to this century!

Hahaha! What fun.

Chuck, I may take you up on your kind offer - I'll do a bit of a search and see what I can find. Right now, bar stock plans seem the right first step.

Pleased to meet you all!

Stuart

* I like Telfords Ironbridge a lot, so he gets on my list twice. ;)

Stuart
I must have missed Lucas on that list.... ::) Darn these old eyes

Steve

Stuart,

Now we ALL know you have a good sense of humour.

Just keep it up, enjoy yourself and murder a few bits of metal to get you on your way.

John

Well, I enthusiastically rushed out to the shop saturday morning, and enthusiastically butchered two pieces of perfectly good brass. That's OK - first time I have done any machining in a long while - I have a lot to remember, and even more to learn. I do take two positives from this:

1. I remembered enough to account for backlash and so on, and at least hit all the dimensional tolerances within my gauge capability.

2. I had a really good time doing it.

Basically, the surface finish of my turned diameter was awful. I think this is mostly due to incorrect spindle speed - so I have studied a few references, performed a few calculations, and tonight I will set things up again and have another go. My facing off was OK though.

This is just so much fun - I can't wait to start on my actual engine.

Stuart.

PS, I know I sound like a novice - it's because in truth - I am. ;D

Stuart...
Practice with steel or Aluminum. With brass prices what they are right now, you'll appreciate the advice, especially when you need more.

Steve

That is astoundingly good advice - I was just looking at brass prices - unbelieveable!

We just threw out a couple of odd steel and alumin(i)um ends at work today, which I duly diverted - I will practice on those.

Cheers!

Whenever someone contacts me to ask for real beginner plans, I always send them here first.

http://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm

Some are so easy to make, you could have one running in a few hours. You only have to look at some of the builds on there, rough as old boots, but they run, and a lot of them could involve the kids as well.
It is the success of getting your first engine running that makes you want to make more complicated ones.

John

Tin, those engines are beautiful. I would love to see any plans you wish to share. The Seymour and the Lucy look fasciniating.

Thanks Bogs - that is a great link, with what look like some excellent first time projects.

I like this site - I put up a post saying what a novice I am - and the response is genuine help and advice. Elsewhere you would get chastised. I love it.

I do have a habit of aiming a bit high on these kind of projects, luckily I also have a fair amount of patience, so when things don't go right I can tale a step back and review, and try again.

As soon as I get a succesful part made, I will post it. I have very big, very long term steam engine plans - but I have to do some really small steps first.

Thanks guys! Your encouragement, as ever, greatly appreciated!

Stuart

"I like this site - I put up a post saying what a novice I am - and the response is genuine help and advice. Elsewhere you would get chastised. I love it."

That has to do with the fact that most of us were rank amateurs ourselves not so very long ago and remember what it's like to be all alone out there in the shop.

As soon as I get a succesful part made, I will post it. I have very big, very long term steam engine plans - but I have to do some really small steps first.

Excellent plan. Festina lente (hasten slowly). You'll be amazed how quickly stuff that seems intimidating today becomes a "piece of cake".

wEc1 You've come to the right place...there's all levels here and we all like to rub a little of this and a little of that. Be sure to ask questions form your problems there will be someone around for an answer.

Regards

Philly

JD, Welcome to HMEM. You'll like it here.

Minnesota is a pretty big state. Where are you located?

JD,
Welcome to HMEM. You'll like it here and will be "inspired" as I am.
Tony

Hi JD and welcome to the forum. What are your main areas of interest as far as home shop machining?

Bill

JD,

Welcome. Passion is what it takes. The skills will develope.

JD,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back