Hello from Calgary

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbynoe

Reaction score
Hi, came across this forum while looking for information on small steam engines. This place is awesome. Lots of inspiration and neat ideas.
I am a kinetic sculptor, I build weird moving things, mostly out of wood, but I just got my first metal lathe and a small mill so I am learning how to use them.

I have a portfolio here: http://www.davidbynoe.com
and a project blog: http://dbynoe.blogspot.com

After browsing through the archives I think I am going to be building a finger engine next, gonna see if I can hook up a linear alternator to it to power an led :)

Welcome David

Nice to have another Canuck aboard.

I had a look at your links and all I can say is wow….
With the kind of talent you have displayed I am sure you will be made most welcome by everyone here especially all the guys with way more talent than I.

Regards Bert

Welcome David. cool stuff on the web site . Building a kyak is on my dream list. I have two comercial heavy canoes in the yard repairs on the to do list and seveal of the local lakes dry of course plenty of oportunity if one looks
Tin

David,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Tin Falcon said:
Building a kyak is on my dream list.
Tin

Reminds me of the Eskimo who wanted to keep his kayak warm so he used a candle for heat, it fell over and his kayak burned to the waterline.

Just proves........... "You can't have ya kayak and heat it."

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Dave. I've seen some of your sculptures before, and love how natural they feel. You've done great things in wood, and I can't wait to see what you can do with metal!

Simon

Welcome aboard Dave, like you wood working skills. I'm a smidge ;D norh of you in Yellowknife :big:.

What kind of lathe and mill did you get?

Enjoy you new toys on these 'cold-n-dark' winter nights.

Cheers,
Chazz

Hi dbynoe

Welcome to the HMEM forum.

Hi Dave,
Welcome and warn us before you send the cold to Montana!
Cool sculptures, photos and projects.
Tom

Thanks for the warm welcome all.
Tin Falcon: I highly recommend building a kayak, there is just something awesome about sitting on the water in something you built. Check this site out: http://yostwerks.com/ has plans for fuselage style kayak construction. Plywood frames, wooden stringers. Cheap and fast to build and they work great too.

Chazz: I was looking at taking a road trip next summer. Realized that its 25 hours of driving to hit Yellowknife from here, just a smidge indeed ;)

I have a small taig mill which I am enjoying, and I just picked up a craftex ct-133 from busy bee (an X-2 clone), going to be stripping it down and clearing off all the shipping goo this afternoon.

Tom: we were 50 degrees yesterday. Its dropping to 14. Heads up.

15" and the skiing is awesome thanks for sharing and the kayaks are super cool!

Back