Hello From Behind The Redwood Curtain

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Emers. Since U asked, maybe better to start a new thread with your engine title in it.
So in the future some poor bastardo looking for information on that engine can gleen some inspiration from your build. Just my opinion.
And Richard, i’ll call your 72 and raise you one. 73 here.
What a bunch of geezers,
Let’s be careful out there, we dont need no stinking broken hips.
Cheers
Yeah yeah, anyone older than me is a geezer, anyone younger than me is a young punk. But You have me in geezerhood. LOL

Stuart: Go back & look at post #2 in this thread. I never did get this engine to run properly. Stuart Models could not explain why different offset (15 degree) for IP& LP eccentrics than the 30 degree used for the HP cyl. There is another thread about this somewhere ,but I can't find it. Had other projects on the go all summer but recently got back to the triple. Got the engine to run forward and reverse on air on HP cyl . Would run on air in forward on IP but not reverse, would run on air in forward on LP but not reverse. When all cylinders are connected properly , engine runs nicely in forward but horribly or not at all in reverse unless air pressure over 80 PSI. Since the HP cyl. goes forward & reverse on a 30 degree offset eccentric, I decided to make new eccentrics for IP & LP with the same 30 degree offset . I started to-day on the remake. Hope if other stuff doesn't get in the way to have a good running triple by the week-end. Will post result good, or hopefully not -- bad.- Colin- PS To Richard ( Geezerhood ) does not start until 75 which I am.

Stuart: Go back & look at post #2 in this thread. I never did get this engine to run properly. Stuart Models could not explain why different offset (15 degree) for IP& LP eccentrics than the 30 degree used for the HP cyl. There is another thread about this somewhere ,but I can't find it. Had other projects on the go all summer but recently got back to the triple. Got the engine to run forward and reverse on air on HP cyl . Would run on air in forward on IP but not reverse, would run on air in forward on LP but not reverse. When all cylinders are connected properly , engine runs nicely in forward but horribly or not at all in reverse unless air pressure over 80 PSI. Since the HP cyl. goes forward & reverse on a 30 degree offset eccentric, I decided to make new eccentrics for IP & LP with the same 30 degree offset . I started to-day on the remake. Hope if other stuff doesn't get in the way to have a good running triple by the week-end. Will post result good, or hopefully not -- bad.- Colin- PS To Richard ( Geezerhood ) does not start until 75 which I am.

THat's good, that's REally good. LOL. Geezerhood. I'll have tell my kidz that one.

Hi Fellow Geezers
I am going to restart my post on my build of the Stuart Triple that way I will see all comments on my progress.
I will start from scratch so some of comments here will be repeated. Hope this does not upset anyone.
Cheers
Emers

lol My wife made fun of me this week because I have old man hobbies. I'm half ya'lls age.

That triple expansion engine kit looks like a lot of fun to build. There are a lot of places where sliding surfaces could bind, making it a challenging tolerancing puzzle. I could see why running it on compressed air would be more inefficient, (guessing here) as the first piston has to probably push through everything else after the initial pressure drop. Is that correct?

lol My wife made fun of me this week because I have old man hobbies. I'm half ya'lls age.

That triple expansion engine kit looks like a lot of fun to build. There are a lot of places where sliding surfaces could bind, making it a challenging tolerancing puzzle. I could see why running it on compressed air would be more inefficient, (guessing here) as the first piston has to probably push through everything else after the initial pressure drop. Is that correct?
Old man? I've been doing this since I was two years old--last week.

Reactions: Zeb
Well, I’ve had my SB9 for about 40yrs.
Was I a young man then? Alas, probably not.
But the lathe is now 83 yrs old & a bona fide geezer.
But....well....never mind...

Must of had a senior moment, Yes ,I see the new guys name is Emers not Stuart, By the way your construction base for the triple looks exactly like mine , maybe we think alike . Please start a new thread detailing your progress I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Mine doesn't run right yet so my advice may be suspect Colin

Ray,

Shelter Cove..who'd thunk! My wife and I were down there last year and had lunch at the Gyppo Mill. Do you ever dabble in steam engines...I have a real big one I'm not going to get to, and you being near, this monster would be deliverable.

Nice hearing from you, keep in touch, and if you're ever up this way, give me a call and we can BS.

Stuart Miller
445-2735
Hello, following this conversation with great interest. Any chance you might have photos of your engine ? I have been looking for a
steam project for my own under used shop for years. Possibly a marine unit but that is beside the point. Any steam project and or photos of finished engines is always very enjoyable for me,
and hopefully many others here. Thank you very much.

Hello Group,

There have been numerous references to the age of members of this forum, and a few to the age of machines in our workshops. It is machines that I believe are of greater concern - my lathe was made in 1910. On its hundredth birthday I sat down in the workshop with it and we shared a few beers, I told it how much I appreciated the work and pleasure it gave me (and it told me a few stories too).

But:

My wife and I have two sons and a son-in-law, they are fit healthy young men and they all play "sport of the season" - cricket in the summer, football and rugby in the winter. If we need to move something heavy we simply invite the whole family (children, children-in-law and grandchildren) round for Sunday lunch and just before the food gets served I say "Oh, by the way, we need to move that piano up three flights of stairs" - the lads reply "No problem Dad" and the job is done in no time

Whenever we move house, the lads help me move my workshop. The last time we moved, after moving the lathe and mill, my youngest son took me to one side and said "Dad, when you 'go', please don't leave those machines to me in your will".

We have a duty to keep and care for these machines, they are part of history. I do not "own" my lathe and mill, I am just looking after them until I pass them on to a new custodian. It worries me that my children do not seem interested, but on the bright side, two of our grandsons and one granddaughter are most enthusiastic when they "play" on the machines in Grandad's workshop.......

All the best,
Ian
(currently building a Stuart S50 with my 6 year old grandson and an orrery with my 7 year old granddaughter)

Hi Colin
I started the new post in the Engines from castings section where I have a new post. Also look on YT emers steam models for a little more on my efforts.
Cheers
emers (John)

Latest posts

Back