Hello from Alberta canada

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jyman

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been looking around the community for a little while now and just bought a used 10 x 18 metal lathe about a month ago. and have only made a little tiny steam boiler so far.

A little about my background I'm currently a Power engineering student, or as you guys across the pond call me a Stationary engineer. I run and operate 81 boilers daily. anywhere from 175,000 BTU's all the way to 15.8 MBTU's.

So far I have been enjoying myself and was wondering if there was anyone else in my area of the world?

Jon

thanks steve, I'm guessing by your name you have a chevy ss 396

oh very nice, I have a 1948 chevy truck with a 305 HO. that I have been building for the last couple years

oh very nice, I have a 1948 chevy truck with a 305 HO. that I have been building for the last couple years

There fun but also alot of work. Mine had a blown 540 with nitrous. It was a beast. Now that it's gone i'm reliving my past thru models.

I'm in the planning stages of making the crankshaft. If I can get past that it's all down hill.

DSCN0940s.jpg~original

There fun but also alot of work. Mine had a blown 540 with nitrous. It was a beast. Now that it's gone i'm reliving my past thru models.

I'm in the planning stages of making the crankshaft. If I can get past that it's all down hill.

DSCN0940s.jpg~original

Very awesome, are you planning on making run also or just a hand turn one? any idea what amount of HP it would make?

Very awesome, are you planning on making run also or just a hand turn one? any idea what amount of HP it would make?

Oh it will run. I have not seen a model on the site that didn't run. I have no idea about the horsepower. I have no way to check and it really doesn't matter to me anyway. I just like the way they sound.
Sounds like you will be into building steam engines. If you do decide to go in that direction and build a few you will be amazed how much they sound like the real thing. I started building simple steam/air powered engines and then went in the internal combustion direction about 4 years ago or so. There are so many directions to go in the modeling hobby. It's kind of fun to see where it takes you.

Here is the non-supercharged version.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwVfNobk8r0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbwsLysqGk[/ame]

WOW those sounds Amazing :D almost sounds just like the motor on my truck when I fired it up the first time with open headers

yup my first steam engine sounded great and would run on a min of about 5 psi and just started to turn over, At the moment I am looking at building the Brass Stirling '60' that was posted by "Jeroen Jonkman" but I am building it out of Aluminum. I would like to make my way into IC one day but its nice to build some simple ones to get used to my lathe.

Welcome Jyman, looks like you have found at least one contact already.

Jim

hi Jon, i just joined today and saw your post, i am in Calgary visiting family so i thought i would say hello to you and everyone before i go back home to England this weekend, enjoyed my stay in Alberta,
Graham.

Welcome fellow Canuck, lots of cool engines and ideas here for sure!

Latest posts

Back