Hello from a new guy!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenn_blue59

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I am a new member of the forum. My name is Bill. Recently retired from a public sector job and now have more time to enjoy metalwork.

Little bit about myself: My dad was an auto mechanic, so I grew up around tools and cars. I go into fabrication (motorcycles and cars), and doing restoration work on british sports cars. Out of necessity, learned to weld and metalwork for things I couldn't get. Built several trailers, rebuilt a bunch of full size engines, farm tools, etc.

About 5 years ago, I bought a 7x12 homier lathe, then eventually a mill/drill. Made/fixed/converted lots of stuff.

Always wanted to build a minature or steam engine, but didnt have the skill or time. Most of my lathe "skills" are home taught or from things I have picked up on forums like this. Most of what I've done so far are larger items (at least larger for my small lathe) have cut pulleys, jack shafts, mounts for various things, etc.

Recently started doing some sand casting of aluminum. Net very good, but still learning and getting better. Mostly make rough castings that I can then machine into the exact items I need.

My time is split between Florida (where I worked and we still own a house), and N.E. Tennessee, where we bought 30+ acres and have a place in the country. Tennessee is great because I have a 3 bay garage, and am making plans to create a seperate woodworking and metalwork shop. Will finally have room for my projects!

Anyway, really excited about some of the topics and great projects I see here on this board. Hope to start a project of my own soon, and will be coming to y'all for help and advise.

Hi Bill,
Where are you located? I'm near Jonesborough. I have similar equipment and have also dabbled in casting aluminum.

Chuck in E. TN

Welcome Bill. Glad you found us.

Regards,
Bill

Welcome to the best metal working forum. You can learn to make lots of engines here. We really need pictures as you go through a project. ironman (Ray)

Thanks for the welcome everybody.

Chuck, we are a little west of you (less east?!) Our place is north of Cookeville - between Nashville and Knoxville and about 30 miles south of the Kentucky border.

Bill,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Bill, Tennessee is home to some mighty fine model builders - must be sumpin' in the water!

Latest posts

Back