Hello Everyone! I'm new to this forum!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christo4mg

Reaction score
Hello!
My name is Christopher and I'm new to this forum. I would like to start off by saying thanks to all that have shared their knowledge with the rest of us. I have been a machinist for about 20 years, and can say that the quality of workmanship that I have seen on this site is very inspiring!
I have only made a couple of air/steam engines to date. Both of them were when I was a student. One was the little "millie" wobbler and the other was a two piston engine that I can't recall the name. I will post pic's in the near future.
In addition to being an instrument maker, I also teach the Advanced Machining night course at a local Technical college. I am constantly getting ideas for class projects from this site. Students love a project that "works" when finished, not just another paper weight! Thanks again

Christopher
Welcome to HMEM!!. We can always use another old hand to contribute to the mayhem.

Steve

Christopher,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to HMEM Christopher.

I was a heavy industry machinist for 20 years myself.
During that time I regrettably made paperweights that could have sunk the Titanic
without an iceberg.

Not proud moments but instances of reality.
A second's lapse of concentration can result is a catastrophic error.

I hope that your Advanced Machining teachings have an allowance built in for
the human error factor.

Rick

Christopher :
Welcome and thanks for the intro.
Sounds like you are well qualified to share here.
Tin

Welcome Christopher. I teach machine shop practices for the engineering technology program at the university here. I only wish there were more time or an advanced course which could integrate some of the projects here.

Regards,
Bill

Hello folks,
Yes, the course I teach does take into account "human error". When the students make a mistake they are to come to me directly and immediately. I will then see if the dimension(s) are critical and if a deviation from the print would work. If it will work, I initial and date the print next to the dimension that has a deviation. This saves the student time (doesn't have to start over) and the school money (stock and tools). This also illustrates which tolerances are the most important to the function of the part. Some students have more experience than the others, so it is my personal objective to make sure that each student has learned something new and useful in my class!.....and ultimately pass the course!

Christopher,

Hello & welcome, from Mike in England.
As you've been lurking for a while you already know this is a fine place to hang out.

Latest posts

Back