Hello everyone. I have a question...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
First, let me say hello. I've been lurking for a few weeks now and I'm amazed at the talent on this site. I just got into machining through a friend at work so I will have lots of questions in the future.
My question today is in regards to a new lathe. I currently have an older Craftsman/Sherline mini lathe and, as you can imagine, its too small for some of the operations I want to perform. I've always been partial to older machines for some reason, so I'm looking at a Craftsman 101.07301. Is there anything I should watch out for with these machines? Should I scrap the idea of an older machine and go with a modern 7x12?
Thanks for your time and input.
Ben

Welcome to HMEM Ben.

An old machine is always a good find.
It may need some repairs or adjustments to make it a viable tool.
OR, you can buy a new one. It too will require some upgrades and modifications
to make it a viable machine. Difference is the old machine might be 30 years old
but still repairable. In 30 years the "new" machine will be in the pile of scrap to
be recycled.

Rick

I have a 7 x 12 and they are ok IF you don't mind doing a several mods. I have heard them described as an unfinished kit that you have to do the final fit and finish on. Don't get me wrong, I like my little lathe but it takes some work. Also the far eastern lathes need a very thorough cleaning to get the casting sand and cast iron dust cleaned up before they are used. They are capable of pretty good work too within their limits.

If you can get a good older lathe I would go for it.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Oh and welcome to one of the best group of people around that I know of.

Ron

Welcome to the forum Ben.
I can't answer your questions...but hang around. There'll be more help I'm sure.
And there's one now as I type!

I'm with the majority here - get aholt of a hunk of old iron if at all possible.

If that number is the "109" I .....IMHO would avoid it.

There are a few here who make them sing...but they're capacity is limited...i know I owned one.

If it's a 6", 10",l or 12" Atlas....and the ways are good, and they're equiped, you could do far worse.

I own a 12" Logan Powermatic. It's a good lathe once I fixed and cleaned it....

The MicroMark 7" mini lathe is a good buy for the money and it's current which means you can get the accessories you want ...when you want them

As a general rule....buy the biggest lathe you can aford as you can do little work on a big lathe but not big work on a little lathe.....

Good Luck!

Dave

The model number you mentioned is for a 6" swing, but don't overlook the 12" Atlas either. They aren't so big as to eat up all your floor space, not nearly as big as an industrial lathe of similar capacity. That is one reason for their popularity, I think. Broken down into major components, they can be handled by two people rather easily.

Any of the 6",10" or 12" lathes (Atlas) are ok in my opinion. The 6" AA109 (Dunlap) can be usable, but is a very lightly built machine.

I have a 12"x36 Atlas and a 109. The 12" has made more parts in it's life than it ever had a right to. It's working on it's fourth (I think) set of end gears, and it really needs the back gears replaced.

The 109 has been used a few hours in the 16 or 18 years I've owned it.

On the other hand, if you are partial to older machines, there are many larger capacity industrial machines (lineshaft) around looking for a home.

Kevin

My first choice was an older used machine. With zero machining experience a used lathe seemed a be a tough way to go. A case of, you need to know how to use one to repair one. After a lot of searching and looking at machines in need of repair and parts I decided that a new ready to run and easy to accessorize machine was the best choice for me.

I bought a 9x20 Enco lathe and after quite a few years of learning and use I can honestly say that I'm totally satisfied! The only repair it ever needed was to replace the worn out power switch, so I bought two to be sure.

"Till death (mine) do us part." ;)

-MB

As you can see...a very tough question. The experienced ones will be biased...that's neither good nor bad...it's just their particular experience and likes/dislikes...the inexperienced ones...well...they just don't know enough...but again that's neither good nor bad...it's just their particular experience and likes/dislikes.

Not helping much am I?

Eventually you'll make your choice based on your own experience, likes/dislikes, and what you read here. Just know and be content that you asked the question, you've looked at the responses, and you make your decision. It will be a good decision. Even if you change it later!

Having said all that hooey...I went for a 7x12 import because of cost and not knowing where this was going to take me. Now I want a bigger/better...but I'm happy with my decision...it got me into the hobby...I can sell it (or not) and go further now that I know this hobby is for me.

The most important thing is to experience some success and then build on that.

I think Zee made a good point. The small off shore lathes can help you decide what you want to do and not spend too much money to get started. Then you can always sell them. After watching eBay and Craigslist for some time now I can tell you there is a pretty good market for the off shore lathes and without taking a real beating on their value. On the other hand I can also tell you from personal experience that a good older machine is not always easy to find. I found my 12" Craftsman and have not seen a deal as good since that time. So I just lucked out. Part of the issue is that the cost of shipping adds a lot to a big lathe. I still have my little 7x10 and still use it. Sometimes it is handy to have it set up to do an operation rather than changing the bigger lathe back and forth between set ups. It does not take up much room so I have not decided if I want to sell it yet.

I second Zees' point. I recently bought a grizzly 10 x 22 and I have no desire to sell my 7 x 12 at this time. I learned a lot using the 7 x and it does good work. I built my first running engine on it, a 2 cylinder marine engine. Got me into the hobby relatively cheap.

Ron

Thanks for all the replies. The lathe I'm looking at is in my hometown in Kentucky and I'm in Alaska. I'll be taking a visiting back home in a couple of weeks. The owner did sent me the photo below. I'll take a closer look when we get to Kentucky. As long as the ways aren't pitted, I think I may take it. I can break it down and prep it for shipping while I'm there. It will be a good project for me and my dad.

Lathe.jpg

It looks like an Atlas, which would be good, as long as it's not beat up. Sears put their name on these too, as well as on AA brand lathes. I know this one isn't the later. The Atlas was the better machine.

That looks like the 6" 101 Sears / Atlas. The flat ways distinguish it from the AA 109. Since you have one located it should make a good lathe for you. The 6" is not too heavy and should ship easy. Looks like the correct jack shaft behind it. It takes a standard motor that can be found pretty cheap. Parts are on eBay often. So long as the ways are in good shape it should be a good project. I have seen them as low as about $300 and as high as $750 in good shape and extra tooling. There have also been some in the $1,000 - $1,200 range but I don't think they were being realistic. At that price the 10" and 12" lathes are a better deal.

Let us know if you get it and how the project goes.

Los Anchorage here. I hope you have a good way to get that lathe up there. I'm sure you know the cost of shipping up here.

We are heading back to KY for a 10 day visit. While there, I was going to box it up and have my parents ship it after we leave. The bed will be the most awkward part. I don't plan on shipping the motor. I'll just get a new one here in town.

I had a 101.07301 for several years and only sold it to make room for a bigger machine. Nice little lathe. As others say, it's an Atlas/Craftsman 6x18 lathe, probably from the 1930's or 1940's. If the ways are ok and the back gear isn't missing teeth, it's likely a good deal. There's a couple yahoogroups dedicated to the Atlas/Craftsman and Atlas 618 models, and in one or both of them is a basic manual with oiling points and all.

The lathes.co.uk site says the 7301 model is fairly rare, but there seems to be plenty of them around. In any case, most all the parts from the other 6" Atlas lathes fit anyway. It does have a plain-bearing headstock. As long as the chuck's not rattling around, it should be fine if kept oiled. Most accessories and parts are available from eBay and Sears and Atlas still have some spare parts as well.

Around here a good one with most of the accessories (3-jaw, 4-jaw, steadies, change gears, drill chucks, bunch of tooling, etc) is around $500. From the looks of the picture, there might not be a 3-jaw, but it seems to have most of the rest.

while reading the old South Bend Lathe catalogs (On line pdf versions) I noticed they used to have a shipping option where the lathe was boxed up for transport by mule. That lathe is a bit smaller than the SBs so I am sure you can figure a way to get it home if you want it.
Tin

Back